Pre Diabetes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
1. Control food portion size
2. Cut the junk (I'm looking at you, sugar)
3. Exercise (muscle strengthening, cardio, HIIT).
(ps: this isn't sarcasm, it's what I read over and over again).

This is the problem with the readily available western diet, ( of which I was supremely adapted to) it's full of carbohydrates. Just about everything has carbs. Carbohydrates are converted to glucose. Excess glucose creates high levels of insulin, which leads to insulin resistance.

Insulin resistance reduces the body's ability to access the body fat (which is usually too much by the time you've got IR) to burn as fuel.

So to reduce IR, carbohydrates have to be almost eliminated from a person's diet until the body regains the equilibrium of insulin sensitivity. Thus allowing easy access to stored body fats.

IR makes losing weight extremely difficult, that's why so many fail because they dont see tangible results from altering their diet.

I went through a week or so cold turkey to almost eliminate carbohydrates from my diet. I dont feel hungry between meals by fuelling on mostly fats and protein. I employ intermittent fasting of 18/6 and only 2 meals a day. As of today, I've lost 13lb this month.

I've become fat adapted

I,know its sounds bizarre to eat more fats to lose weight. But it seems to be working, I dont crave food between meals.

Last edited:

grldtnr

Thankfully diabetes can be reversed as well as being prediabetic for most. Diet and willingness is the key
I have type 2 diabetes, I must correct you, whilst it's true you can be in remission, i.e. reverse diabetes, that's have normal glucose levels, unfortunately you will still be Diabectic, being in remission isn't a get out of jail card, so you will still have to maintain the LC/HF diet.
Best of British in remaining pre Diabectic, I am just hovering on the cusp myself.

grldtnr

This is the problem with the readily available western diet, ( of which I was supremely adapted to) it's full of carbohydrates. Just about everything has carbs. Carbohydrates are converted to glucose. Excess glucose creates high levels of insulin, which leads to insulin resistance.

Insulin resistance reduces the body's ability to access the body fat (which is usually too much by the time you've got IR) to burn as fuel.

So to reduce IR, carbohydrates have to be almost eliminated from a person's diet until the body regains the equilibrium of insulin sensitivity. Thus allowing easy access to stored body fats.

IR makes losing weight extremely difficult, that's why so many fail because they dont see tangible results from altering their diet.

I went through a week or so cold turkey to almost eliminate carbohydrates from my diet. I dont feel hungry between meals by fuelling on mostly fats and protein. I employ intermittent fasting of 18/6 and only 2 meals a day. As of today, I've lost 13lb this month.

I've become fat adapted

I,know its sounds bizarre to eat more fats to lose weight. But it seems to be working, I dont crave food between meals.
Ues it's counter intuitive, and it is hard to think what to eat to avoid Carbs, but as long as you don't eat more than 150 grms of carbs a day you are on the right yracks

mustang1

Legendary Member

I've become fat adapted

Is your diet akin to Low Carb/High Fat diet? I started that today. But I guess it wasn't too bad because its Friday which is a low-stress day for me. I hope I can continue the LCHF way and see where it leads.

grldtnr

Is your diet akin to Low Carb/High Fat diet? I started that today. But I guess it wasn't too bad because its Friday which is a low-stress day for me. I hope I can continue the LCHF way and see where it leads.
Yes , I try to follow it, but a lifetime of eating a supposed healthy diet, takes a long time to unlock, but my sugar consumption is almost nil, I have cut out potatoes and all other starchy foods that we were told we should eat, pasta ,rice, and even porridge oats which I used to have a big bowl of every morning, tho' the jury is out on that one, it's carby but it releases it slowly, it was my wonder fuel for when working on the Post ,walking all day , but I became much more sedentary after being knocked of my bike, that's where it went wrong for me.
I believe , if you are active you can eat what you want, but become lazy that's when diabetes will get you

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Yes, I'm currently using LCHF. I'm hoping to progress into Keto. I've not counted my carb intake, as of yet. However I've cut out all bread, pasta, sweet stuff, sugar and low fat milk. No porridge or potatoes.

I now drink full cream with tea or coffee and eat eggs, cheese, fresh vegetables, fish and meats. I cook in butter add extra virgin olive oil to every salad I eat. Nuts, avocado are daily foods too.

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
The Michael Mosely TV shows demonstrate a wide variety of approaches as shortcuts to improving health. Reversing and eliminating the descent to T2D is a common theme.
Diet and HiiT are the usual approach. Less strenuous forms of exercise are often demonstrated too.

This is usually demonstrated by a group of volunteers, plus another control group. Small groups, so a little unscientific and anecdotal, but interesting anyway.

Domus

Guru
Had my first phone group session yesterday. Too many people I think, took ages to take the register, ask if people just wanted to listen or answer questions. Many of the people on the call were not native speakers and needed translators, some could not, or would not mute their phones and so background noise was a problem. Some good information came from it but not enough to justify one hour and fifteen minutes.
It was everyone's first time so will see how the next session goes.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Ues it's counter intuitive, and it is hard to think what to eat to avoid Carbs, but as long as you don't eat more than 150 grms of carbs a day you are on the right yracks
150g is rather too much for somebody that is already diabetic. I keep my carbs under 20g a day and I notice how that helps me. 25g of carbs for a 2000 cal diet is advisable for a diabetic.... although some doctors would recommend you cut carbs to 30% - 40%, that is 600 - 800 cal or 150g - 200g on a 2000cal diet. For me it is impossible to control my glucose level, no medication and the 30%carbs the doctor recommended, although it can be done while taking medication. The bottom line is that you will never revert diabetes on 150g of carbs.

I've become fat adapted

Spot on....congratulations on your achievements.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Thanks, I've got a long way to go.

Get my A1C glucose down, weight down, I anticipate 28lb more to go.

Wasn't even aware of this long term A1C value, had naively thought low blood sugar was low blood sugar, seems not. Will look into this and see where i can get a test.

Thanks for the heads up:okay:

grldtnr

That's one of the things with Carb control with Diabectic's, what is tolebro for one is different for another, some have to be very strict, if they wish to be medication free, ,Type 1 sufferers have a slightly easier time of it,They have to monitor their bllod sugars and inject Insulin, for what they are about to eat , against a background base level, that's constant blood monitoring on waking ,testing before & after eating and fasting, but they can eat more or less what they want, but still have to control Carbs.
Type 2's don't have that,unless they become insulin dependent ,but that's not common.
It isn't one rule for every one,we are all different, some can eat more than others, the most insidious aspect of type 2, is that outwardly, symptoms don't readily represent them selves, the only sure way is finger prick tests ,which many Doctors , on the NHS, won't prescribe for ,saying it's uneccasary , so trying has to be at patients expense.
I perhaps have been ignorant of my personal carb count, all though I am just over the considerex Diabectic threshold, I know that I am , so eat a diet to try and mitigate it, a few more years then maybe I can come off medication, Metformin, which is my goal, but for now I am ok.

Top Bottom