Pre Diabetes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I did get down to my early 20s size a few years ago. Unfortunately I did it by calorie deficit, not really understanding the types of food, I should have been eating. I was always hungry

I'm now using LC/HF/Keto regime and whilst reducing in waist, I dont feel hungry between meals, which is a real bonus to fighting off cravings

vickster

Legendary Member
I`ve been getting blood pressure, blood tests regularly from my health centre for several years. They always contact me once a year without fail and I arrange an appointment to see the practice nurse with a follow up visit, or since covid, a telephone consultation with my GP.
Keeping regular appointments and having these simple tests prevents a lot of long term issues and makes sense to any group practice so I am surprised when I hear the above comments.
I actually had my latest blood tests last week and just waiting for the results.
But do you have an actual diagnosis/cardiovascular/metabolic history. Take any medication for such? If so, it makes sense that you are monitored regularly for disease progression/effectiveness of any medication.

The comments of not having checks are more related to screening type checks rather than disease monitoring it seems?

carpiste

Guru
But do you have an actual diagnosis/cardiovascular/metabolic history. Take any medication for such? If so, it makes sense that you are monitored regularly for disease progression/effectiveness of any medication.

The comments of not having checks are more related to screening type checks rather than disease monitoring it seems?
As it happens I do have a history, yes, but I was getting yearly checks prior to those coming to light. I am not alone as all my family, over 40, have also been getting regular checks at the same practice. My brother was recently diagnosed with cardiovascular disease as a direct result of the same screening. I suppose it could well be he and others are checked regularly as a result of my diagnoses and are checked in case there is a hereditary factor.
Either way, without going into politics, my point was that some group practices have different ideas when it comes to regular health checks and how far they go with the checks. I guess I`m one of the lucky ones. Oh ,and I hasten to add, it is a NHS practice.

Domus

Guru
I'm 67 and just had my annual Health Check at my GPs practice. I too am Pre Diabetic with an HBA1c reading of 43. Normal reading is 21 - 40.
42 - 47 is potentially higher risk of developing Type 2.

My diet is pretty good, no meat, no dairy, no alcohol however my downfall is cakes and biscuits. My exercise apart from cycling is very poor so it may spur me on to have a go at the Couch to 5K again. Started at the first lockdown then pulled my Achillies. New shoes needed methinks.

Signed up for NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme. Phone consultations to advise and encourage. First one is this Friday. I know what to do but doing it is another thing, group encouragement can't hurt.
Here

iluvmybike

Über Member
I'm 68 and do not recall ever having been invited for a health check. Our GPs seem to be overhelmed dealing with ill people and doesn't see to have time for these things - even though knwing early means you can deal with certain conditions :sad:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I'm 68 and do not recall ever having been invited for a health check. Our GPs seem to be overhelmed dealing with ill people and doesn't see to have time for these things - even though knwing early means you can deal with certain conditions :sad:
Yes. Seems common sense that prevention and/or early intervention would be an awful lot better than trying to treat an established condition.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Yes. Seems common sense that prevention and/or early intervention would be an awful lot better than trying to treat an established condition.
Thankfully diabetes can be reversed as well as being prediabetic for most. Diet and willingness is the key

carpiste

Guru
I'm 67 and just had my annual Health Check at my GPs practice. I too am Pre Diabetic with an HBA1c reading of 43. Normal reading is 21 - 40.
42 - 47 is potentially higher risk of developing Type 2.

My diet is pretty good, no meat, no dairy, no alcohol however my downfall is cakes and biscuits. My exercise apart from cycling is very poor so it may spur me on to have a go at the Couch to 5K again. Started at the first lockdown then pulled my Achillies. New shoes needed methinks.

Signed up for NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme. Phone consultations to advise and encourage. First one is this Friday. I know what to do but doing it is another thing, group encouragement can't hurt.
Here
I was told I was pre-diabetic 2 years ago and didn`t realise the consequences of making big life changes....
Then, of course, I was diagnosed with type 2 and HAD to make changes or end up on medication (more than I`m already on!"
Cake and biscuits were also my big issue but I have completely changed my diet, no sugar, carbs and more exercise.
I`ve lost close on 3 stone since May and feel far better than I have in years. I had blood tests last week and just waiting results but I`m sure my readings will be lower and hopefully I`ll be able to carry on drug free.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/ is a very good place for info.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Found some more info; this link takes you to the NHS Health Check pages.
https://www.healthcheck.nhs.uk/

I don't think much of their website design, but search around and there is spme useful info, such as a list of conditions that qualify you for more frequent testing.

Otherwise it's every 5 years for a health check, once you've hit 40.
It should be by invitation but it only takes a phone call if you've not heard .

In my late teens I ended up developing Pancreatitis during which I was getting blood tests daily for diabetes. (Lol at the end of the week my fingers were like leather and the automatic needle to draw blood bounced of them :laugh:). Fortunately as I was approaching the diabetic level it all cleared up and things reverted to normal. The docs could never figure out what caused it to come and go. Roll on 20 years I suddenly developed chronic fatigue and they tested for it again. Fortunately that was normal and something else in normal caused it and doubly fortunately that has been sorted now.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Forgive my ignorance, but is the way to prevent (or prolong?) T2D to these things:
1. Control food portion size
2. Cut the junk (I'm looking at you, sugar)
3. Exercise (muscle strengthening, cardio, HIIT).
(ps: this isn't sarcasm, it's what I read over and over again).

And medication is only taken once you are diagnosed with T2D right? Then some people choose not to take it and decide to change their lifestyle (eating and exercising habits mainly) and hope pre-T2D goes away.

If that's all you have to do, then why not do it? I don't do it because I'm lazy. Thanks for any tips!

EDIT: ps I'm refering to if you do not already have any medical conditions where you have no choice. I *do* have a choice (no underlying medical conditions that I know of, but I'm a lazy git as i mentioned above).

vickster

Legendary Member
Forgive my ignorance, but is the way to prevent (or prolong?) T2D to these things:
1. Control food portion size
2. Cut the junk (I'm looking at you, sugar)
3. Exercise (muscle strengthening, cardio, HIIT).
(ps: this isn't sarcasm, it's what I read over and over again).
4. Keep weight/waist size in healthy range
5. Don't have any family history / genetic [including ethnicity] pre-disposition (not a lot you can do about this except minimise risks, and not the same as underlying conditions)
6. Don't use corticosteroids long term
7. Look after your pancreas (no heavy drinking)

All the required info can be found on diabetes UK https://www.diabetes.org.uk/
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/preventing-type-2-diabetes

Top Bottom