Pre-first-ride tasks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bandini

Get my first touring bike this week. Is there anything I should do to the bike before my first ride? Is it recommended that I apply anything to any parts of the bike to protect them?

Keith Oates

Janner
If you bought the bike from a good LBS then they would have set it up fairly well and also checked it out mechanically. The only thing I would suggest is that you try a few shortish rides to make sure the fit on the bike is comfortable. Even if it seems OK always take some allen keys with you so that you can adjust saddle height and position by trial and error once you're on the road. Another thing is to run the allen keys or spanner over all nuts and bolts etc. just to make sure nothing is loose beore you set off. Actully what I've just said applies to all bikes not just touring machines. There shouldn't be any need to add anything protective with a good bike.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps. forgot to say I hope you enjoy the bike and many many miles of pleasure with it in the future.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jay clock

Massive member
Agreed - cycle up and down the road a bit and check it all fits. The saddle and or bars may need a bit of tinkering in angle or height.

Enjoy it!

What bike is it?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Bandini said:
Is it recommended that I apply anything to any parts of the bike to protect them?

Whenever I buy a new bike (sadly not often enough) I always apply self-adhesive clear plastic strip to any point where the cables come in contact with the frame. The strip will prevent any wear on the paintwork caused by cable rubbing. You'll find there are quite a few points where this is the case, esepecially when you turn the handle bars. By applying the strips before your first ride you can be sure the paintwork is clean when you do it.

I can't think what the commercial name for these is but I'm sure if you ask your LBS they'll have them and if it's a new bike will probably give you a set. A good tip for applying the strip is to warm it with a hairdryer just before putting it on. This helps to slightly stretch it and ensure it never comes off.

OP
OP
Bandini

Bandini

Cheers all.

I have pump, a decent multi-tool, and puncture repair kit - so looks like I am good to go then! Going on a 20 mile round jaunt on Saturday, so should get a feel for any adjustments then.

It is a Dawes Kara Kum, Jay - not everyone's cup of tea, but I like the butterfly bars (I have an occasionally dodgy neck) , and in my price range I thought it was the best specs for what I needed.

Unfortunately, I was limited to Halfords, so was worried it might not be a brilliant set up, but a friend who does quite a bit of mountain biking says the bike mechanics are not that bad at our local branch.

I will ask the LBS about the adhesive. We have a good LBS, so I will be going there for anything in future.

Can't wait to get riding!

Arch

Married to Night Train
PaulSB said:
Whenever I buy a new bike (sadly not often enough) I always apply self-adhesive clear plastic strip to any point where the cables come in contact with the frame.

If you like, you can also apply some similar protection to the chain side chainstay, in case of contact between the chain and chainstay when you go over bumps and so on - chainslap, I think it's called.

Otherwise, as others have said, do a few testing rides to get the set up right - a little shift in the angle of the bars or position of the saddle can make all the difference.

Mainly, enjoy!;)

OP
OP
Bandini

Bandini

Not apologising - I love it! Just acknowledging that it is a little quirky! I can't wait!

OP
OP
Bandini

Bandini

Meant to arrive tomorrow, but I have a late night at work, so can't collect it ;)

Be out on it Saturday though!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Bandini said:
Cheers all.

I have pump, a decent multi-tool, and puncture repair kit - so looks like I am good to go then! Going on a 20 mile round jaunt on Saturday, so should get a feel for any adjustments then.

It is a Dawes Kara Kum, Jay - not everyone's cup of tea, but I like the butterfly bars (I have an occasionally dodgy neck) , and in my price range I thought it was the best specs for what I needed.

Unfortunately, I was limited to Halfords, so was worried it might not be a brilliant set up, but a friend who does quite a bit of mountain biking says the bike mechanics are not that bad at our local branch.

I will ask the LBS about the adhesive. We have a good LBS, so I will be going there for anything in future.

Can't wait to get riding!
listen. You're new here. Which is great - welcome aboard. But you've got to realise that certain things get people going in a way that makes P+L look like a vicarage tea party. I've tried to help you out with Linf, although I'm bound to say that with your nifty footwork you probably didn't need it.

But 'butterfly bars'. Don't go there. And forget 'racks' and 'mudguards' as well. There are bike fascists waiting round every corner. Let me give you a word of warning about one of them. McBludgeon. Quite. The kind of name you don't mess with.

I'd say more, but, to be honest, I can't take the risk. I'm a family man.....

oh - check the indexing on the gears not once but twice. If they've got that wrong, and got the stops on the derailleur wrong, it's chain against spoke, and 'the kind of thing that happens if you ride it wrong, guv'. And check the headset for wobble. And check that the derailleur is vertical - this will be down to the hanger which a good bike shop will 'cold set', but Halford's wouldn't have the first idea about. And (sorry) check the spoke tensioning on all spokes, and tighten accordingly, having taken off the tyre an tube and making sure that the spokes you tighten don't impress themselves on the rim tape. And take a good look at the rim tape - it's probably made out of toothpaste, and, if the tyre is pressing it down in to the spoke recesses, change it. And check the bottom bracket for play - Halfords won't worry about this, so what you've got is whatever somebody being paid next to no money in China did. While you're checking the spokes and whether the wheel is true, check the brakes for clearance - there should only be enough to stop rubbing against the rim - and check that the brake pads only meet the rim and not the air encircled by the rim, or (worse still, but entirely possible) the tyre...

OP
OP
Bandini

Bandini

But 'racks' and 'mudguards' can surely be mentioned on a touring forum?? I just want to enjoy the country side and carry gear with me.

Thanks for all the advice. And can you PM me about the McBludgeon thing please??

Top Bottom