Pre paid funeral?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
OMG - I can't bear the thought of being incarcerated in an urn.:eek:

Anyway, more to the point, are you being cremated with your bloomers on? :laugh:

Hell yes. I wouldn't want anyone to steal them and turn them into the next fashion craze.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Yes, it's just a smaller hole, three foot deep.

I took my Mum's ashes up to her home town (Alford, Linconlshire) to spread them on her Mum & Dad's joint grave. It was only on the way out that I noticed a sign stating that there was a charge to be paid for doing this.

I wonder if you have to pay more to dig a hole, or indeed if you can dig a hole, in a cemetery?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
You have to buy a numbered grave plot... you can't do anything within a cemetery yourself.except add flowers and permitted 'decorations'. Anything inappropriate will be removed.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I put my Mums ashes in the water at Calshot Castle, I have often wondered if I could have got done for polluting Southampton Waters

I wondered what to do with my Dad'd ashes for ages

Finally decided to scatter them on the water at the bay where we used to go on holiday when I was a kid - Bere peninsular in southern Ireland.

got there after a long drive and it was quite windy - went to the end of the pier and waited for a calm interval - when one came I scattered them onto the water
At that exact moment a big gust came along - picked half the ashes up and dragged them towards the beach about 100 yards away!
then they blew up and landed all over the exact cottage that we used to stay in

which was spooky!!

not sure you are supposed to do that

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Just musing, if you do get buried in the back garden does it get entered on the deeds or something? People have mentioned about devaluing the house, which I can see, but if the grave wasn't marked who would know?
I think you'd have to let potential buyers know there's a body in the garden.
https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/19023815.inside-house-sale-125-000-man-buried-garden/
Why would relatives do this,even if it is/was the wishes of the deceased?🤔 If the house is sold to a non family member then the new owners might not want you visiting the grave and rightly so.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I wondered what to do with my Dad'd ashes for ages

Finally decided to scatter them on the water at the bay where we used to go on holiday when I was a kid - Bere peninsular in southern Ireland.

got there after a long drive and it was quite windy - went to the end of the pier and waited for a calm interval - when one came I scattered them onto the water
At that exact moment a big gust came along - picked half the ashes up and dragged them towards the beach about 100 yards away!
then they blew up and landed all over the exact cottage that we used to stay in
My sister took our dad's ashes up to Scotland and scattered them in the sea by the beach he used to walk with our mum when they met in WWII. A few year's later it was finally time for mum to rejoin him. The family gathered and I was to scatter the ashes in the water. It turned out to be a very gusty morning and I was well aware of what might happen so I just waded out into the sea and emptied the urn under water...

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Scattered my father's off the end of an old dock next to the fisherman's memorial in Hull. Luckily the vicar had warned me in advance of the 'ashes blowing' problems that others mentioned, so me and my brother climbed over the fence thing and went down to the water and poured them into the water so he could go on his final journey..

Jenkins

Legendary Member
My brother in law's gran was Swiss and had specified in her will that her ashes were to be taken back to Switzerland and scattered in a specific area, but having done a bit of research it turned out there was a local bylaw prohibiting it. I did ask if they had considered using 'The Great Escape' method.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Those of you old enough to remember the 1970's and also football fans, might remember the likes of Liverpool and Man City fans ashes being brought out with the players before the game,then after a small ceremony scattered on the pitch before the game. Maybe i could make arrangements for mine,when the time comes, to be scattered on the pitch before an Accrington Stanley match.🤔

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I think i've mentioned it before in a similar thread. After i picked up my mum's ashes from the funeral home i put some on my dad's grave, some on my grandparents (mum's parents) grave,some on the front garden of mum and dad's of 51 years house and kept (still there after two and a half years) the rest in the urn,in the boot of my car.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I wonder if you have to pay more to dig a hole, or indeed if you can dig a hole, in a cemetery?

When our mum died she was cremated and we planned on putting her ashes in the plot where our dad had been buried. I can’t remember the cost quoted by the cemetery, perhaps about £100 back in 97, but we thought ‘stuff that’ and did it ourselves. We took her favourite flower, a yellow rose, in a pot and a trowel as a pretext for digging, just in case we were challenged. Then we dug a hole twice the required depth, poured her ashes in and put the rose on top.

Top Bottom