Pre paid funeral?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Serious question! I'm not expected to do all that sign of the cross stuff am i? I don't even sing at funerals,i just mime. My friend who's coming with me is a devout Irish Catholic,so maybe i won't get away with just miming.:unsure:
My wife's Mum was Catholic and her funeral was about 2 years ago
DOn't worry about the cross thingy just let people do what they do and stand respectfully
they also have some things they say at certain times - same thing - just stand respectfully

Oh - and they don;t do the last line of the Lords Prayer - the For ever and Ever Amen bit
and there are a few other bits but it is just like any funeral - stand or sit the same as everyone else
if people go up for Communion then just stay where you are

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm going to sit at the back,hopefully on the last row. I can't do more than an hour,so if it's still going on after an hour i can make a hopefully unnoticed exit. That's if they don't shut the church entrance/exit doors!:unsure:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
No, you mean that you would find it so.

I would guess that most of the mourners, if they noticed Accy's departure at all, would appreciate the fact that he had taken the trouble to come and pay his respects.
I just hope they keep the doors open. Hopefully they will,as i suppose it'll be another hot day. I remember another funeral i went to 3 years ago of a cyclist i knew who was killed by a minibus. This was a C of E service. It was hot and claustrophobic in church,but at least they kept the doors open and the service was only about 40 minutes long.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have got mine all arranged at my favourite beach, very close to home.

My mate makes fireworks and I have a BBQ all ready. ^_^

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Been to many Catholic funerals, and they don't last more than an hour if it's a full mass. Some just do the 30 minutes or so mass.

You won't turn into a frog and they do understand not all people are religious.

Worse you can get is Covid sat inside with many others. :whistle:

Sorry, but that would be very disrespectful in any church

No it wouldn't. It might be disrespectful in some houses of worship, or considered so by some individual leaders of worship, but it is widely recognised, at least in this country, that people of many faiths and none are likely to wish to attend certain religious 'life events', especially funerals, for those they have valued in life- and may only wish, or be able, to attend a part of the formal service.

'Quiet' demeanour and 'respectful' mode of dress (ie clean, tidy and not revealing or suggestive) suffices for one's presence to be considered acceptable (and, usually. actively welcomed) at all but the most 'extreme' of religious ceremonies for weddings and funerals; the only contentious matter might - in some houses of worship - be one of head/shoulder coverings for either sex, and skirt length for women (and scotsmen?). In a Xtian church, Accy should remove his head-covering, if possible. In a synagogue, he should (often) keep it on.

Sitting or standing at the back and near the exit, it is doubtful that anyone will notice Accy leaving, and even if they do, they'll just think he's getting too upset to stay. There will be no assumption of disrespect at all.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
All the useful advice has been given already.
I never sing anywhere and and just stand and sit following everybody else. The clergyman or woman usually gives a signal to indicate whether to stand or sit when required.
Most funerals services here only last about half an hour and then on to the graveyard which can be some distance away. One I was at prepandemic the coffin was carried by the tractor unit of a large artic to the graveyard as he was a lorry driver.
We also have a habit of lining up to greet those attending as they emerge from the church although it is not compulsory.

Top Bottom