Preferred way to navigate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

old soup

I'm planning a trip cycling around the Baltic (Eurovelo 10) this September. I've never actually done a long-distance touring trip by bicycle, and still in the process of finding the most suitable/reliable way to navigate. I don't mind using a paper map to navigate, but haven't so far been able to find much. So far, I think I might purchase an android phone and use a digital map to help me plan my routes for each day. But the only problem is that I'm not sure which system to use, etc etc (In terms of battery life, I was thinking of bringing a portable charger). I don't mind using google maps, as I found it can work offline, but I'm not sure how well it'll work long-distance, especially If I don't have a connection to internet for day to day route planning. I was wondering if anyone had any solutions or recommendations of what will work best? that you can pre-plan routes that gives you directions or easy to follow/ understand, and doesn't constantly rely on an internet connection. Or any general advice regarding navigation, thanks.

Ive cycled quite a lot of Eurovelo 10 over the years - going south I for the most part kept the sea on my right - I always just buy maps as i go along - if you are near enough to London - try popping into Stanfords and see what they have

jay clock

Massive member
I combine paper and electronics.. Old Android phone with an app called Bike Tracker and paid for Rwgps. And a Garmin 1000. And a mac book air.

That all sounds like a lot!

I combine paper and electronics.. Old Android phone with an app called Bike Tracker and paid for Rwgps. And a Garmin 1000. And a mac book air.

That all sounds like a lot!

ditto - I have - a Garmin with City Navigator (Europe) - The whole of OSM Europe - plus android tablet with Maps ME - windows netbook with mapsource OSM and then plus usually more used paper maps than it is probably sensible to carry :smile:

160927-psotr-33.JPG

robjh

Legendary Member
For me when touring it is a paper map* every time, with google maps on a phone as a backup for particularly tricky bits of micro-navigation such as looking for a street in a town.
Ebay and Amazon have maps of all three Baltic states by Michelin and Marco Polo, for under £10. I quite enjoy looking for maps locally when I get to new countries, but would always want at least a basic map before arrival to help me out until I find more detailed local one.

*I prefer a paper map because
a) battery life is endless
b) it's easier to change your route as you go along
c) you get a better idea of your wider surroundings, what is to the left, right, north south east and west, than you do with a small screen focused on your current position

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
The other thing about paper maps is that they don't just tell you about the tiny bit of the area you cycle along, they tell you all sorts of information about everything you can see from your route too. Sometimes I like to plan my route on a map and challenge myself to see how much of it I can remember without further reference to the map - but even then I'll probably review the map on my return to better tie in my en-route experience with the info given by the map (such as how the roads work with the topography).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
For me, it's a phone every time. It leaves more space on the bike for stuff and avoids the handlebars/stem top looking like a replica of a cluttered work desk. With solar and dynamo chargers, battery life is practically endless; touchscreens make it easy to change your guided route as you go along, or you can use it like a smart map anyway, just reading the route off the screen (but having it as a guided route allows smarter software like OSMand~ to turn the screen on and off at the right times); and the user-curated maps mean they're far more up-to-date than most paper maps and not so subject to the whims of highway authorities - has everyone forgotten last year's Flemish Node Renumbering already?

classic33

Leg End Member
With all the electronic maps relying on battery power, often a decent signal as well. What happens when either fail?

And are we in danger of following satnav users, down roads that are either unsuitable or don't exist?

mjr

With all the electronic maps relying on battery power, often a decent signal as well. What happens when either fail?
If battery fails, then you're back to memory, the compass/sun/moss and road signs, same as we all used to. If signal fails, the device just uses its cached maps, which are often pretty detailed.

And are we in danger of following satnav users, down roads that are either unsuitable or don't exist?
No more than map readers trying to figure out if that particular pattern of purple dashes or dots will be rideable.

mjr

They're pink, not purple. Even on the electronic versions.
Well pardon me for not having perfect eyesight like you :tongue:

Edit: and my colour namer app says they're "warm purple" not pink. I'll go check the paper version now.

ETA: the 1991 and 1993 paper maps I have identify them as a purple and the same shade as the road under construction. The cover is identified as "strong pink".

Last edited:
Top Bottom