Preferred way to navigate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
As opposed to people who are too busy to ride anywhere because they are planning metre by metre, junction by junction rides on google streetview and compiling gpx tracks to be used in the "next" tour

I see your :popcorn: and raise you :cycle:
I am in both camps. I am going for three days to Normandy on Friday night and have done the gpx day by day inc street viewing all the dodgy bits. But it is a group of 7 that I feel slightly responsible for

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Ridden/walked/humped my way through a few closed/under construction roads. You are on a bike. Not many places you can't go IMO.
You can normally negotiate your way through, though I failed once in the Teign Valley where there was heavy machinery, and the site manager told me in no uncertain terms to retreat and find a detour.

In 'my' occasional area of France, certain unstable cols and gorge roads get properly closed for major engineering works - you really do need to know, as there's rarely an easy detour. You know when they have padlocked gates it's a no-no.

My favourite sign ever was on a French road: "Route barrée, même les cyclistes". They are used to us being cheeky, obviously.

classic33

Leg End Member
So paper maps are preferred by people who sit about dreaming about riding more than actually riding?

:popcorn:
Used paper maps to get from The North Wall, out of Dublin and then over to Mayo. Also down to Limerick, Ennis by the Northern end of Lough Derg, and Mayo to Ennis. On the last part it was a case of checking before travelling and keeping the route in my head.

Neither cheap nor light, but not that heavy either.
eire_map.gif

Last edited:
In 'my' occasional area of France, certain unstable cols and gorge roads get properly closed for major engineering works - you really do need to know, as there's rarely an easy detour. You know when they have padlocked gates it's a no-no.

Yup - I was coming down from Forclaz on my way to St Gervais for Saises and Roselend - through Chamonix - and then onto a white road through the valley when I came across the Route Barre Sign at the start of the minor road - Glissement de Terrain - On the map I was using it looked like a quick 200m on the main road and i could bypass it - non - into a tunnel - and then out onto a wicked high viaduct - luckily very fast downhill - very interesting ^_^ sort of whirlpool hairpin bend halfway down - great fun but probably not recommended ^_^

edit - my original intention was Voza - Joly - that was the road that was closed

Last edited:
Thanks, I am there regularly, I'll take a look.
Glad to be of service, though may mean you hoover up stuff i could have done with :smile: picked up a couple of goldeneye maps last time i was there. Pretty sure it's oxfam, in the main street, near the library.

Mr Carr

I'm currently sat in front of a PC planning my route from Montpellier to Zeebrugge. (via Mt Ventoux) I plan routes on strava, with the help of streetview, and download to a Garmin edge touring device (pre-loaded maps of Europe plus long battery life). In addition I take 1: 200,000 Michelin maps. I couldn't do without either. This is not the cheapest solution but it works for me.

The Garmin is good for towns. The maps are good back up and useful if you want to deviate from plan.

The best part of the trip is the planning.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
:stop::stop:
Road under construction, why would you be riding on a road under construction?
That was the only time I rode on a motorway:stop:

MarkF

Guru
So paper maps are preferred by people who sit about dreaming about riding more than actually riding?

:popcorn:

Well.........I have to do the rides in the first place to later, get out the maps, and "re-ride" the memories. I'd look a bit daft cracking open a beer and staring at garmin 5 years after crossing a country.

The best part for me is the non-planning, I have a start and finish point determined by airline flights, but it's so exciting, fresh in new country and not knowing (exactly) where I am going or where I'll sleep. My work life is normal & predictable, cycle touring is fun for me.

I combine paper and electronics.. Old Android phone with an app called Bike Tracker and paid for Rwgps. And a Garmin 1000. And a mac book air.

That all sounds like a lot!

Similar

I use a small Garmin Foretrex for tagging my photos, and it acts as a simple backup for the main GPS

I use my Garmin Edge Touring for most navigation

The MacBook Air is used to plan prior to the journey then simply upload to the Garmin or adapt the journey to fit circumstances and then upload )and of course download the day's data)

Well.........I have to do the rides in the first place to later, get out the maps, and "re-ride" the memories. I'd look a bit daft cracking open a beer and staring at garmin 5 years after crossing a country.

You could curl up with google earth and a few beers and rerun the the GPS tracks ad nauseum :smile:

snorri

Legendary Member
Never this for me.
I have always gone touring with a general plan, ie I'm heading for Berlin, Copenhagen, Dublin or Antwerp, but have found any attempt at detailed route planning to be sleep inducing. My route deviates on a day to day basis depending on information picked up along the way, conversations with other cyclists, observations, events, weather etc. so any plan would soon be thrown aside:smile:.

Top Bottom