Preferring to cycle in the rain/overcast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
There are a few reasons for this.
1. The rain clears the cycle tracks of people, both walkers and fellow cyclists. (I ride a hybrid, mainly along the Swansea seafront)
2. It's cooler
3. I like the idea of battling the elements
4. Less idiots about in general. The sun seems to bring all sorts of proles down to the seafront on their annual outing

What's your views on cycling in inclement weather?
(Roadies probably hate it as I would imagine it ups the danger level considerably for all sorts of reasons)

Drago

Legendary Member
I like it too. If I didn't ride in inclement weather I'd hardly ever ride at all.

Brandane

Legendary Member
As above by Vickster; but a bit more than that! I dislike the rain with a vengeance. It's cold, it's wet, it's miserable. It will wreck your bike's transmission components and bearings in a fraction of the time compared to riding in dry weather. It makes roads slippery. It reduces your visibility and worse still reduces the visibility of car drivers who are blind to cyclists at the best of times. You have to change your kit after it gets wet. Riding in the rain? NO, NO, NO!!!!

OP
OP
SuperHans123

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
Not if I can help it (I certainly don't go out if it's raining)
Why would I want to get wet and cold doing something that I do primarily for enjoyment?
Do you ride predominantly on roads?
I think if I did I certainly wouldn't enjoy it with cars splashing, potholes, poor visibility, idiot drivers being more idiotic in bad weather to get home quicker etc

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you ride predominantly on roads?
I think if I did I certainly wouldn't enjoy it with cars splashing, potholes, poor visibility, idiot drivers being more idiotic in bad weather to get home quicker etc
Mostly yes, but no on,y. It makes parks etc filthy too at this time of year

Of course, you get wet cycling in the rain :rolleyes: (or sweaty and uncomfortable in waterproofs (which I wouldn't be seen dead wearing :laugh:) and I get cold if the air temp is low. Summer drizzle bearable in small doses

There are plenty of dry days to cycle in, at least around SW london. The current weather is actually very unusual

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Today in my first DNS Audax ever. I don’t mind the weather but I’ve been in the wet for 3 weeks at work and I really didn’t fancy 10-12 hours in the wind and rain. (Wessex Downs 200km Audax) I also could do without the amount of post ride maintenance to rescue the drive train from an imminent death.

I’ll go out tomorrow. Cold but dry.

Reactions: C R

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Wet weather never used to bother me much, but these days it's dry only.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I do cold and wet in the week , at the weekend i dont do drowned rat .
I dont mind a bit damp but i have been soaked through and shivering 30 miles from home before now and it is not fun

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I ride mainly on suburban roads which are busier with cars when wet as people would rather drive than ride. What annoys me most about a really wet ride is muddy silt that accumulates in your shoes and socks meaning you have to wash them rather than just drying them. So no I don't like the rain and will drive to work if it's pissing it down.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I ride mainly on suburban roads which are busier with cars when wet as people would rather drive than ride. What annoys me most about a really wet ride is muddy silt that accumulates in your shoes and socks meaning you have to wash them rather than just drying them. So no I don't like the rain and will drive to work if it's pissing it down.

How does muddy silt get in your shoes? Is this off road ?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Wear overshoes.

Top Bottom