Preferring to cycle in the rain/overcast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I hope it wasn't too bad. I was lucky (if you can call it luck) when it happened to me the blinded driver's (muppet's) car clipped my bars and being on the fixed I was unable to hold it and ended up in a ditch. A sore calf was about the limits of my injuries and the bike faired OK.
I went through his windscreen. But no bones broken. Bikes was buggered but the driver did the right thing and paid up for the repairs.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I’m happy riding in the rain. In fact some of my most memorable rides have been in downpours. Having the right clothing though is paramount. I bailed on a mildly wet FNRttC due to wearing my new Pro-Viz jacket instead of my trusty Paramo, got sweaty and then cold to my bones. Have ridden other filthy wet and cold nights in the Paramo without issue, so clothing (along with attitude) is everything.

Jimidh

Veteran
I don’t mind riding in bad weather, although I much prefer short sleeves and shorts on a hot sunny day.

If the weather is pretty crap then I will take out a mountain bike or CX and ride off road mostly because I’m not keen on taking my chances with drivers ability to see me when the visibility is low.

plus you can’t beat getting muddy at times.

I mostly enjoy riding in rain, unless it's really cold. Or at least I do if I'm on a borrowed bike. On my own bike I can't enjoy it for fretting about all the water and filth getting into the bearings and transmission.
Shouldn't really get into the wheel bearings should it?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I mostly enjoy riding in rain, unless it's really cold. Or at least I do if I'm on a borrowed bike. On my own bike I can't enjoy it for fretting about all the water and filth getting into the bearings and transmission.
Bearings have seals on and get regular periodic maintenance. OK ... occasional maintenance. Well, sometimes anyway.

The transmission gets a thorough clean and re-lube after a filthy ride. And after most clean rides too.

I don't like riding in the rain but I rarely have to, living in a place with 300+ days of Sun. Of course, living in a tourist spot does mean I get folk about who left their brains at the airport but they are concentrated in specific areas at the coast so not too difficult to avoid simply by heading inland.

Unless meeting up for a Club ride or other pre-arranged meet with friends, I don't take the road bike out on wet roads or if there is a chance of rain. My MTB is different, if I know I'll get rained on at some point that's fine, but I would rather not go out if it is already raining.

There's a lovely dutch phrase when translated means "You are not made of sugar, you won't melt in the rain!"

The dutch get on with their utility cycling whatever the weather so why can't we? :okay:

I don't mind the rain but I get a bit miffed with stop-start rain. Has it stopped long enough to remove waterproof trousers? Will it start again if I take them off?
If they are off and it starts raining again, do I put them back on?

Maybe because for the vast majority of British cyclists it's not our primary method of transport (for a multitude of reasons) so we take the dry option where possible.
I prefer to frame it that we are simply are a nation of coddled softies and wusses. We need a similar phrase to enter popular discourse to hold a mirror up to our poor excuses for avoiding riding in anything other than clear skies.:laugh:

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't mind the rain but I get a bit miffed with stop-start rain. Has it stopped long enough to remove waterproof trousers? Will it start again if I take them off?
If they are off and it starts raining again, do I put them back on?
I tried cycling in waterproof trousers but I just couldn't get on with them at all. Now I just let my legs get wet. Even when out walking I find them such a hideous faff that they are a weapon of last resort. That may just be because I am tall and have big feet.

If you want to keep your legs dry and don't mind looking slightly odd, then Rain Legs might be worth a try.

Last edited:
That may just be because I am tall and have big feet.

Had you considered it might be because you picked trousers for the wrong species?

61H8oAanbPL._SX355_.jpg

Top Bottom