Premium bonds - weird coincidence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I was quoting him, not recommending him ;) as I said, his explanation was way beyond my “O” level maths.

I rarely if ever learn anything new from his program, but, IMHO, those who should watch, don’t (eg my youngest daughter), and those who do watch, don’t need to!

Now... I must get on with planning how to spend that £1million, just in case ;)
Sod a million...I’ve a got a ticket for tonight’s Euromillions... £175m.... fingers crossed eh

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
Martin Lewis mentions Premium Bonds, fairly regularly on his TV program. He does not recommend, nor does he not recommend. In a recent program, he attempted to explain some mathematics to do with averages, means etc, which I did not understand, to arrive at the figure of £10,000 invested as being the "sweet. spot" at which you begin to approach the 1.4% (or soon to be 1%) return, as you holding increases towards the maximum (£50,000) so to does the chance of a return approaching the published rate. Since April, this year, mine have returned £525, which, I win nothing in Jan, Feb, Mar (2021), will be a return of 1.05%, according to my maths.

Do you reinvest in bonds or spend the money?

There is an often-told story that when Albert Einstein was once asked what mankind's greatest invention was, he replied: "Compound interest." There's even one claim that Einstein called compound interest the "8th Wonder of the World."

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

There is an often-told story that when Albert Einstein was once asked what mankind's greatest invention was, he replied: "Compound interest." There's even one claim that Einstein called compound interest the "8th Wonder of the World."
If by “bonds” you mean Premium Bonds, as I said, I have the maximum holding. So, depending on my mood, I spend, save, or give to grandchildren ;)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have my account set to reinvest any wins. Hitting the limit would be a nice problem to have, but I am currently less than 2% of the way there...

potsy

Rambler
I have my account set to reinvest any wins. Hitting the limit would be a nice problem to have, but I am currently less than 2% of the way there...
I too have set mine to reinvest, and like you, have a long way to go to get to the 50k limit.

Current plan is to put any spare money into them, keeping a small amount back for unexpected emergencies.

My retirement fund for when I get fed up of this working lark ^_^

Top Bottom