Prescription cycling glasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I use Sunwise Montreals with the 'RX insert' - Came in at £35 for the glasses inc. 3 different coloured lenses, £15 for the insert and £40 for the glazing via my local optician. I don't use bifocals and I suspect the insert could be a little small for bifocal glazing, but there are plenty of other options here: http://www.sunglassesforsport.com/shop/prescription-options/

gordonrgw

This is the type of glasses I was trying to explain, badly, in my previous post.

A cycling friend finds them very good.

ah, these are similar to the ones I got from Boots, the brandname they used was Kyusu, but doesn't look like they do them any more..

Vertego

Just reflecting on the meaning of life.
I had a similar situation.

I wear varifocals normally but really don't need anything for distance vision - the prescription for that part is so weak. It's reading/screen work that needs correcting now that the years advance.

On the bike normal cycling shades (with replaceable lenses for different conditions) were just fine...except when it came to reading the Garmin screen (or anything else).

Someone directed me to these...

http://www.sportseyeweardirect.co.uk/Hydrotac-Stick-on-Reading-Lenses

Perfect! Normal cycling glasses of whatever design is preferred but with an all but invisible stick on correction lens that sorts reading. Cost - £17. Bought 2 sets - one I leave on the dark shades and the 2nd on the low light/clear lenses.

david k

Hi
I tried on a pair of these at the cycle show on Saturday, and subsequently ordered a pair.

https://www.merlincycles.com/bbb-bsg-49-impress-reader-ph-glasses-88486.html?utm_source=BISnotification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=BackInStock&utm_term=BBB+BSG-49+Impress+Reader+PH+Glasses++-+Matt+Black+/+Photochromic+Lens+/+One+Size+/++2.0

I thought they were good value as they are photochromic as well as having the reader spots.
Only +2.0 in stock though.
Is plus long or short sighted? I'm lond sighted, but both eyes have a different prescription which makes it awkward

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Is plus long or short sighted? I'm lond sighted, but both eyes have a different prescription which makes it awkward
I don't need glasses for distance, but I need them for reading. My reading glass prescription is +2.0
It doesn't actually need to be exact - I can read using anything from +1.5 to +2.5

dim

julbo bivouak cameleon sunglasses .... category 2 to 4 .... photochromatic, anti-fog and polarized .... marketed as ski sunglasses and are anti-fog and can be ordered with prescription lenses .... these are the best of the best, and I have a pair but mine are non prescription .... much better than any of the cycling sunglasses that I have used and are even better than Serengetti or Oakley

david k

Hi
I don't need glasses for distance, but I need them for reading. My reading glass prescription is +2.0
It doesn't actually need to be exact - I can read using anything from +1.5 to +2.5
I guess this is long sighted then? I'm long sighted but recently have some distance glasses which improve my vision, I don't need them but watching a rugby match or similar just makes things clearer, probably age, I passed 40 just three years ago, and eyes of got worse since

OP
OP
Donger

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Thanks everyone. Some excellent suggestions in amongst that lot. You can always rely on Cyclechatters. Mrs Donger has actually just solved my problem by obtaining one of the credit card sized magnifiers I was talking about. All I really wanted was to be able to take an occasional look at a map. This does the job nicely, as you can see, and will slip in my back pocket. Might get another one and keep it with my credit cards too.
259.JPG

The price? £1.95. The saving, £325.05.

I am a -5 prescription so pretty much need to wear glasses all the time and especially when cycling. Ive tried a lot of options over the years - the closet I came to a budget solution was the cycling specs supplied by optilabs - but with a -5 prescription they still looked a bit odd.
I tried specs with inserts which looked much better - but were pretty much lethal when it rains
In the end I decided to splash some serious cash - close of £300 - even then getting a pair of wrap around specs was difficult - not many will glaze to that prescription. in the end i was pointed in the direction of extreme eyewear and who did me some rudy projects which look and ride absolutely fantastic.

One tip if you are in the market for cycling specs with a large prescription - either go for transitions or a base tint - this hides the thickness of the lense at the side...

JD42

Hills are nature's way of culling the weak
Boots 2 for1. They have a brochure with sports glasses where your prescription can be fitted. So...buy yourself a new set of specs and get your riding glasses at your prescription chucked in...worked for me.

Top Bottom