Prescription cycling glasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I've been having a job reading maps/bike computer etc lately due to my increasing need for reading glasses. It is also nice, when out on the bike for the day to at least be able to read a menu when you stop off for a pub lunch. Seeing how reasonable the prices were in Boots for varifocal glasses and lenses, I thought I'd investigate the possibility of getting some new cycling glasses/goggles with varifocal lenses so that I could map read as I ride. Should be simple enough, I thought. Most of the glasses I was shown had cycle shades fixed on clunky flip-up hinges outside the prescription lenses. Looked a bit "Silence of the Lambs" to me! Some of them didn't cover anything like enough area to ensure they would keep flies or road grit out of your eyes when cycling (not fit for purpose).

Three appointments later, and throughout the process of trying to source anything suitable they were still strangely reluctant to discuss prices. Went in again today to consider the only pair that actually looked like cycling glasses and had a big enough frame to fit me. Turns out that, because the lenses were so curved, there was a slight risk that I would not get along with them anyway.
Then she told me the price ..... £327 !:eek:
Then, supposing I did get along with them, another £270 for alternative sunglass lense inserts.:eek:
Maybe I'm just a tightwad, but I'm not paying that.:thumbsdown:

Saw some plastic, credit card-sized 5x magnifiers on the net last night, going for £5 each. reckon I'll ride with one of those in my back pocket in future. While it would be nice to be able to read things while I'm out on the bike, I just couldn't justify anything like the price being asked.

Is it just me, or is there a glaring gap in the market here for opticians to stock reasonably priced prescription cycling frames with the option of varifocal lenses?

Has anyone else encountered this problem? How did you get around it, and how much did you pay?

I wear verifocals for everyday and these http://www.dualeyewear.com/ on the bike, they're perfectly adequate for reading maps, phones etc. and are pretty good cycling glasses.

screenman

Legendary Member
I cannot use wrap around due to needing a prism, Specsavers did not know this and had some made for me that did not work, needless to say I did not pay for them.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
These work perfectly and they're only £12.00.

EDIT: Sorry, but not varifocals. Might be better than carrying a magnifying glass about though?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My glasses seem to allow too much wind to rush around the lenses. I'm currently wearing no-fog builders glasses over my prescription pair (looks daft but is comfortable) but when I buy a new pair soon, I'll probably look for a two-fer deal and get some "aviator" size ones as the second pair and try those on the bike.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
How do you know what strength to get?
I just guessed and got the 2.5. It doesn't really matter as I only look through the magnified part of the lens when I need to check the Garmin or look at my phone, or whatever.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Although I'm reluctant to recommend Specsavers, they did have some reasonably priced sports glasses last time I was in there and they often do offers like free varifocals.

But their website is bobbins and won't find them...:rolleyes:

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
Just for reading, Aldi had some the other day (one of those basket things so I don't know about longevity of stock) +1 to +3 or so in .5 increments. £2.50.
No good for riding if you need variables, but to chuck in an under saddle bag or back pocket and just use for maps or menus at stop or destination they'd be ok I'd have thought.

david k

Hi
I got some reactors from specs avers, just their own cheap plastic rims that have worked well for me on the bike and I don't have to take them off when going indoors

bruce1530

Guru
Do any of the budget suppliers supply “distance lenses"? All of the ones listed above do “positive” lenses - +1, +2, +3 etc - which are for people with OK long vision, but problems seeing things close. But I’m looking for a pair of -1.5s

Then she told me the price ..... £327 !:eek:
That's about what I paid for my Maui Jims, the best sunglasses I have ever owned, but I did have the help of insurance to pick up most of the cost.

Don't forget, once you get your prescription from the optician you can always go shopping on line for glasses and maybe get a better price.

Top Bottom