Prescription Sunglasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ACS

Legendary Member
Has anyone used this company. If so I would be very intertested in any feedback you may have.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Mortiroloboy

garrilla said:
Assuming you are talking cycling sunglasses you have two options...

1) Any sunglasses that take 'insets' which are a pair of prescription lenses that sit inside the glasses

or

2) Direct glazed. This is where the glass in sunglasses is glazed to your prescription.

I used my local opticians and they at first tried me with inset but I found the lens were a little bit 'whoa!' and too close to my eye so in the end I opted for 2) which we sourced from www.optilabs.co.uk and I and the opticians were amazed at the glazing

At £150 a pair, and the photo advert in this weeks comic makes them look really cheap.:ohmy:

Will1985 said:
You can get Px Oakleys if you can justify the cost.

I have monthly contact lenses. Not sure what I would do if I tried to swim in a triathlon - Px goggles then spend an extra minute in T1 putting in lenses?

Or pop into Specsavers, and for £90 you can get a pair of Px Alpina cycling glasses with three different lens colours, (which look and feel just as good as a pair of expensive Oakleys, and miles better than the picture of the Optilabs offering at £60 more, and P&P on top of £6) You also get a soft zippered carry bag and a head strap. Guess which I did?

dhague

I got some specs from Optilabs recently, and cannot fault their service. In my case, Vision Express (Staines) were also a bit funny about giving me the PD, but I found an easy way to do it was to take a photo of myself holding a ruler in front of my eyes while I stared into the distance. Load the photo into the computer, zoom right in and then draw vertical lines from the centres of my pupils down to the ruler - job done, to sub-millimeter accuracy.

In my case, I didn't get on with the Optilabs frames - the ones I chose looked bad on me, and also I found the lenses were a bit too close to my face (eyelashes were brushing the lens all the time), so I emailed Optilabs and returned them under their 7-day satisfaction clause, and they refunded my credit card no questions asked. Can't fault that. For anyone else using Optilabs, I would recommend calling them first and getting some sample frames sent out, so that you can make sure the look & fit are good before you place an order.

Next, I popped into Vision Express in Brighton on a day out, and tried on all of their Oakley frames until I found a pair that fit me and looked good. When the guy there was measuring my PD, he was happy to share it with me, and it matched my DIY measurement perfectly. I love the Oakleys, and for the kind of lens I got (gold iridium coated, slightly tinted, with Transitions light-reactive darkening) they were about the same price as the Optilabs equivalent (£275).

Cheers,
Darren

auckland27

Also used Optilabs recently. My prescription (-10) meant none of the high street chains or major online retailers wanted to know.

Very happy with both the product and the service. No deposit taken, delivered within 2 days and using on a daily basis as went for the photochromatic coating. Gave them the details of my prescription from Vision Express over the phone.

Dormouse

I used Optilabs a few years ago. They gave a good quick service but unfortunately I was not impressed by the fit or how they looked so I sent them back.

To be fair they refunded my money no bother.

I think I will try Specsavers next time. When I have asked previously they said they did not do cycling spex.

ASC1951

Guru
User259iroloboy said:
Or pop into Specsavers, and for £90 you can get a pair of Px Alpina cycling glasses with three different lens colours,
Is that any Specsavers? Their website doesn't mention cycling glasses at all, or Alpinas.

albal

Guru
I had a similar problem. so off i went to asda, yes asda. 2 pairs for £70 + £15 for the sight test. My previous was over 2 years old. The '2nd' pair are clip ons. Iwas a little dubious at first but they are magnetised and Ive been cycling in them since. Only one problem, the clip on shades are not replaceable so if i lose them tough.. A little investigation & they are american and easily bought if i can spare the expense.

Top Bottom