Presta into a Schraeder hole?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Have presta tubes into schraeder and never had a problem...(so far)

tyred

Legendary Member
The valve shouldn't go back into rim. If you are worried about the tube bulging out past the valve, I would fit a washer over the valve and keep it on the inside of the rim. I think a presta valve is 3/16" in diameter so you would need a washer in that size.

bonj2

or have a washer on the outside and just screw that little screw thing onto the valve, like you should anyway with presta holes. IN fact that might suffice on its own without a washer. Unless you buy your tubes from decathlon which are shite as they have threadless valves.

02GF74

Über Member
interesting - never occuredto me that the tube could work its way into the hole - never had that happen.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
There is such a thing as a little rubber gromit that you put in the valve hole (with a hole through the middle for the valve stem). Not sure where you can get 'em from though.

woohoo

Veteran
Landslide said:
There is such a thing as a little rubber gromit that you put in the valve hole (with a hole through the middle for the valve stem). Not sure where you can get 'em from though.
LBS (well. mine anyway) has them. I bought a (Kona) bike recently and switched the tubes to Presta so that the valves matched all the other bikes in the family and I didn't have to bugger about with the pump attachment.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
if you use a velox rim cloth, that will stop any movement by the tube. You could always put two layers of electrical tape beneath the rim tape a cm either side of the hole to stop any movement, but ime it don't weally matter

and you can get valves thingys that look lie a little rubber gromit that work fine.

e-rider

crappy member
All new mavic rims now come with such an adaptor - it's just a plastic thing that goes into the larger hole to make it a bit smaller! someone must have some spareanyway, I think you could survive without using them

asterix

Comrade Member
Spa Cycles fixed me up with some a coupla years ago but it's a cosmetic item really. Soon I'm going to change to schraeder anyway as they are low pressure tyres.

Top Bottom