Pretentious waffle please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And here is corker from the king of pretentiousness:
The genius of Del Toros creation is that we know exactly how much Elisa cares for her soulmate and how he makes silent sense of her fish out of water feelings. Watching them dance around each other I became aware of the shape of my own tears...

Mark Kermode
The Shape of Water
Observer.

We're screening this film soon: we run a cinema evening once a month at our theatre. It sounds as pretentious in German as in English.

The thing is the people deciding the films to show keep choosing this sort of thing...

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It is intense and serious, like it's read loads of Proust and understood too much of it.

Jan Rayner sampling a lemon tart
Observer.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'll suggest it.

You'll know when because you'll hear the screams from the UK.

I don't think Die Hard would have the correct postmodern feminist messages somehow. (Also, I doubt we could afford the licence...)
I thought that John McClane treated women with the utmost respect. Did I miss some cat-suit clad Germanic sidekick of the evil villain Gruber who he casually "offed"?

Am I the only person to be backed off by "re-imagined"?

A new record is being released of Cilla Black re-imagined, singing with the Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra. So the record company has basically stripped her voice off the old master tapes of her recordings, and plonked them on top of an orchestral score.

If you really want to re-imagine her singing, imagine her singing with The Sex Pistols, or Bjorn, or something that would require a bit of, you know, actual imagination.

D

Deleted member 26715

Listening to the radio currently they are talking about children as 'Little persons'

Translating a reference and came up with a doozy. Apparently while working with people with disabilites I did this:

Independently planning and running several smaller projects for the structuring and completion of work following the guidelines of our empowerment concept

I think that means we did a load of projects to teach people they can do stuff for themselves...

"The optics were poor"

meaning that a political act lacked essential PC components

I still prefer the birdwatching version for people who can't afford Leica binoculars.

PK99

Legendary Member
"The world needs the minimalism of The Ramones. It needs a band who've distilled all moral, political and social philosophy down to the phrase 'gabba gabba hey' - and it needs it now. Yeah." - Mick Farren, NME, 21 May 1977

Cycleops

Legendary Member
(On his sports coat by Marni) I really only wear black and grey but I feel I can express my creativity within a limited palette.... (On his trousers by Gucci)... I have them cut a little bit short to show off the shoe and I don't wear socks.... (On his watch strap by Graham Fowler)... I don't wear a watch because i don't like the weight but Graham Fowler sells vintage and original watch straps. To me its an irony wearing a strap but no watch...

Ray Encheid
Bank of America Senior Vice President
Power Dressing FT Weekend.

Attachments

• th.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 21
Top Bottom