Preventing wet hair?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It Sunday night now and I'm a bit tiddly so it might sound stupid from someone a bit stupid, but why not just give your hair a spray with WD40, it works on my bike!

Interesting idea .. but even with my glass of wine in front of me ... I can't say you have persuaded me... for a start ... I HATE the smell of WD40!! Let alone what my hair would look like... :biggrin: but don't let that stop you enjoying another glass or two and pondering on....

Davidc

Guru
The Tredz skull cap is probably as good as any helmet as protection but might work as a rain hat!

I don't like wet hair, or water down my neck, so if it's raining and I use the bike I often use a lightwight jacket with a hood (and no helmet).

Arch

Married to Night Train
It depends how hard you ride, they might be too hot, but you can get helmet/hat systems that allow you to wear a stylish hat over a BMX style helmet such as:

http://www.casquenville.com/

or

http://www.yakkay.com/

Some of them, I notice have a brim all round, which would deflect a fair bit of rain.

(the rounded helmet also does away with some of the issues of rotational injuries, I suspect, but it's not as well vented as a sporty helmet)

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
If raining use a disposable shower cap (from Boots) over the helmet. Looks the business, as if designed for the purpose, and with care will last a fair time. If more extrovert, or female, use a pretty patterned one. :laugh:

fimm

Veteran
I agree that it is not a stupid question. I don't have anything to add that hasn't been suggested already, but my experience has been that I don't get really soaked as often as you might imagine! (On the other hand, I'm not a very good advert for the feminine cyclist - I have a hairbrush in my desk drawer but keep forgetting to use it and wander around all day with helmet hair...)

suecsi

I have short, choppy hair (a la Ginnifer Goodwin/latest Emma Watson) - I have always had shortish hair anyway so it wasn't too scary to go that short.

I used to have a fairly standard Trek helmet that came along with the Brommie on C2W, but a few weeks ago I bought a Met Commuter helmet on Amazon, it has less vents but more coverage at the back. Even though it covers more of the head, I find I get less helmet hair with it.

Because my hair is short, I can just remove the helmet, run my hand through the hair and ready to go. I keep some gel in a 'go bag' in the office along with the usual girl stuff.

brokenbetty

Über Member
And as far as appearance goes, any slight loss of glamour in the hair department is more than made up for by the toning up of the butt and legs :smile: trust me, no one will be looking at your hair >:smile:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I don't know the answer to the question, but I do know that when Her Nibs has wet hair it's my fault.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
I have long hair. If it gets wet, it dries. I tie it back until it does so. Or just leave it tied back.

I don't wear a helmet, so no problem with helmet hair. I tie it back, wear either a cap or a buff to keep the straggly bits from getting in my eyes, brush it out when I get to work and job's a goodun.

Sam

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
I have short(ish) hair which becomes very wavy if left to dry naturally. I just wear a head band under helmet. This keeps some of the rain off. Towel dry and straighten but since I also wear a helmet at work, I have a permanent bad hair day anyway. :blush: