Preventing wet hair?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
Hello everyone, this is my first post, and it does say no question too stupid!

When I go to work there isn't a facility to dry my hair - and I don't want to spend all day looking like a troll doll, so usually a squirt of dry shampoo sorts it out if I started out with reasonable hair before I set off.

Obviously if it rains on the way in I have a problem!

Does anyone recomend anything to keep the hair dry, that won't make me sweat buckets?

I use a helmet, if thats of any relevance.

killiekosmos

Veteran
Sara

Welcome

A few suggestions, which may not be ideal depending upon how long your hair is (mine is what the barbers call - Number 4).

You can buy covers that go over helmets - just like shower caps.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/polaris-helmet-cover-item71064.html

On really wet days my jacket has a hood and I can put helmet on over the hood

brokenbetty

Über Member
Has your hairdresser got any ideas?

I asked my hairdresser for "a short cut that looks long and fits under a helmet". I ended up with a layered pob and that works really well. I don't even need to blow dry it.

(Made me look 10 years younger as well = win!)

If you have long hair, a style that takes out weight without losing length will help a lot.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Clingfilm??? :biggrin:

i'm not sure there's much you can do to be honest. try different hairstyles, like french plaiting it.

I've got long hair with a fringe and i have a shower at work and then wash it but, like you, can't dry it, so I put it back using an alice band or something similar (Claire's accessories sell really nice plaited alice bands in different hair colours, so i got one to matchmy dark hair which looks quite nice. My hair dries curly, and I use serum to define the curls so it doesn't go frizzy when it dries and the plainted alice band disguises the curly frizzy fringe. Works for me.

buggi

Bird Saviour
And far from being a stupid question, quite possibly this is the most important question ever posed on cycle chat. I'm sure that helmet hair is what keeps most girls off their bikes.

brokenbetty

Über Member
Is that not a mullet?

nope, mine's business at the back and party at the front

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I keep a hairdryer in my desk drawer for these occasions. Probably the hood up under the helmet would work best to keep your hair completely dry.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
I keep a hairdryer in my desk drawer for these occasions. Probably the hood up under the helmet would work best to keep your hair completely dry.

Lucky you, my hair is thick and unruly - sadly it requires more than a blast from a hairdryer to render it fit for public viewing!

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
And far from being a stupid question, quite possibly this is the most important question ever posed on cycle chat. I'm sure that helmet hair is what keeps most girls off their bikes.

Wowzers! My first post and the most important question ever.

I shall print the thread and frame it :biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
In wintertime I wear a buff under my helmet ... and whilst it doesn't keep it dry ... it does absorb a certain amount of the rain (up to a point) ... and more importantly keeps me warm. I couldn't wear it in summer though.