Preventing wet hair?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
And as far as appearance goes, any slight loss of glamour in the hair department is more than made up for by the toning up of the butt and legs :smile: trust me, no one will be looking at your hair >:smile:
As far as I'm concerned, that's definitely true.

I'm a bit sad that in 2011 women are still more bothered about whether their hair is perfect or whether they get sweaty, than they are about being slim, fit and happy! (I'm talking about the statistics in the survey I linked to above.)

Who really minds someone else having 'helmet hair' and a flushed face?

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
I'm a bit sad that in 2011 women are still more bothered about whether their hair is perfect or whether they get sweaty, than they are about being slim, fit and happy! (I'm talking about the statistics in the survey I linked to above.)

Who really minds someone else having 'helmet hair' and a flushed face?

Not all of us are. Sadly many women still buy into the idea that their worth is defined by how attractive they are, moment-by-moment, to the opposite sex. This makes me very, very, very angry.

Nobody minds. It's not as if it lasts very long, anyway. In fact, it could be argued that helmet hair and a flushed face is reminiscent of the aftermath of another form of exertion, and therefore supremely attractive...

Sam

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not all of us are. Sadly many women still buy into the idea that their worth is defined by how attractive they are, moment-by-moment, to the opposite sex. This makes me very, very, very angry.
I actually find the idea of manufactured attractiveness a real turn-off. I like a 'This is me; take it or leave it!' attitude.

I wouldn't want someone who was hiding behind a ton of make-up, and looking coyly at me from behind a lock of hair carefully draped in front of one eye. 'I'm helpless, you're a hunk - please save me!' - ugh!

Give me a woman with tousled hair, a glistening brow, one hand on each hip, standing upright, staring me straight in the eye, just a hint of a smile, and a 'Well, do you want me or not!' attitude.

Nobody minds. It's not as if it lasts very long, anyway. In fact, it could be argued that helmet hair and a flushed face is reminiscent of the aftermath of another form of exertion, and therefore supremely attractive...
You're not wrong ... :blush:

Bring on the sweaty women!

Not much hair here, but a lot of riding in the rain. I wear a Specialized skull cap with a buff pulled over to keep the draughts out when it's nippy.

My ride home is about 30 minutes. I've ridden through monsoons and still had dry hair (hair sticking out at very odd angles mind... but dry). I find a buff as a bandana is good in the warmer weather for keeping the greenfly out of the hair, the sunburn off the bald patches (have you seen the pics of cyclists with helmet-styled suntans?) and the sweat out of the eyes; keeping the drizzle off is just a bonus.

When it was really cold I bought a Gore balaclava. Turned out to be less warm than the skull cap, but covered everything. Didn't wear it in rain though.

I think a style section is just what this forum needs :becool:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation

Sam

different type of 'helmet hair' there though ;)

fimm

Veteran

Sam

While I totally agree with you on this one, I think we have to accept that some women do want to appear attractive. For all we know, our OP might have a job dealing with the public where looking as though she's been dragged through a hedge backwards (or has been induldging in other strenuous activity behind said hedge for that matter...) isn't appropriate. Whether it should matter is a whole different debate, but we live in the society we live in, and I don't want to give the impression that you have to become the sort of women who is careless of her appearance and grooming in order to ride a bicycle.

I'm aware this is wandering away from the original question, but I think the OP got a good number of suggestions to try...

Norm

While I totally agree with you on this one, I think we have to accept that some women do want to appear attractive. For all we know, our OP might have a job dealing with the public where looking as though she's been dragged through a hedge backwards (or has been induldging in other strenuous activity behind said hedge for that matter...) isn't appropriate. Whether it should matter is a whole different debate, but we live in the society we live in, and I don't want to give the impression that you have to become the sort of women who is careless of her appearance and grooming in order to ride a bicycle.
On top of this, I think we are seeing many people taking offence on behalf of others. The OP didn't even mention gender, just said that they had an issue with their medium-length hair not looking good when it gets wet.

As it's possible that both males and females want to look presentable in the wet, that's surely a gender-neutral issue.

Although it's not a problem for me as water just beads up and runs off. :biggrin:

zacklaws

Guru
Give me a woman with tousled hair, a glistening brow, one hand on each hip, standing upright, staring me straight in the eye, just a hint of a smile, and a 'Well, do you want me or not!' attitude.

We can all dream Colin, what you really should have put was "Well, do you want to take me shopping or not!"

fimm

Veteran
I did not intend it to appear that I was taking offence on behalf of anyone else. I apologise if it appeared that I was.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
No offence taken to any of the replies!

For what it's worth, I'm a nurse working in an ICU - believe me I'm not aiming to look like Angelina Jolie in the work place - just presentable I guess!

I'm certainly not trying to attract anyone - though I do work with my partner, and have been known to keep applying blusher during the shift when he's around, despite the fact he see's me at my worst before I have my coffee first thing every day!!!!

Arch

Married to Night Train
We can all dream Colin, what you really should have put was "Well, do you want to take me shopping or not!"

Yeah, coz that's all women do, isn't it, go shopping. Whereas no man would ever go shopping, or spend hours debating the relative merits of 57 makes of chainring....

And it's a funny thing, but there seem to be a lot of men who whine about the stereotypical female traits, and yet have very stereotypical ideas of what constitutes attractive.

(also, of course, there are women who do the same - "oh, bloody hell, he's got oil all over the carpet again, but hey, look at this 'naked mechanics' calendar, check out the size of his spanner....")

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
On top of this, I think we are seeing many people taking offence on behalf of others. The OP didn't even mention gender, just said that they had an issue with their medium-length hair not looking good when it gets wet.

As it's possible that both males and females want to look presentable in the wet, that's surely a gender-neutral issue.

Er, what? Colin made a generic point that may have been sparked by the OP, to which I responded, but nobody was taking offence on anyone's behalf as far as I can tell.

I admit, it may be an assumption that Sara is a girl's name, but I don't know of any boys called that.

Although it's not a problem for me as water just beads up and runs off. :biggrin:

tongue.gif

Sam (who works in a job dealing with members of the public, where looking like she's been dragged through a hedge backwards is not appropriate and still doesn't see the need to get fussed over hair)