pro 4 sidewall failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack smith

Veteran
so coming home tonight i literally though wow these tyres are great not one flat yet ill put a review up when i get in,, then PSHHHSHSHSSH flat tyre, fair to say i wasnt happy,...but even worse was when i got it under a street light and saw a split sidewall now i returned 2 lithion 2's to michelin for this exact issue so im not sure where to go with this one as they will just think im taking the pee. i've no idea how it happened i havent been riding over any rough terrain no potholes or any glass and to be fair im devistated as these were truly the best tyres ive ever had and i cant afford to replace it not to mention the pricey latex tube that was in it. is there a wayt o repair the sidewall? i know you can get tyre boots but are there any of these that are rather permanent?

Got rid of my pro 3/4 ...for the same reason . I think the walls are to thin
Good rolling though whilst they lasted (About 150 mile) :sad:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Never had a problem in three years with Pro3s or Pro4s probably between 15 to 20,000 miles. I only change them when they wear thin and start to be more susceptible to punctures.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've lost two Conti 4 Seasons to tire sidewall splits, and no pro race tyres. Currently on Pro Race 4 Service Course on one bike, Conti 4 Seasons on another and commuting on Pro4 Endurance.

It's just bad luck, potholes and road debris.

Globalti

Legendary Member
They won't replace them. You can sometimes find Pro 4s for around £22 on sites like Wiggle, CRC, Ribble etc.

Interesting footnote: I was at the Manchester Velodrome yesterday with my son and there's a fact sheet of dos and don'ts on the track. One of the don'ts was don't use Michelin tyres. I asked a coach the reason and he told me that they don't do well on the track; it's thought the rubber is of a harder compound than Contis or Vittorias as they skid easily.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
so coming home tonight i literally though wow these tyres are great not one flat yet ill put a review up when i get in,, then PSHHHSHSHSSH flat tyre, fair to say i wasnt happy,...but even worse was when i got it under a street light and saw a split sidewall now i returned 2 lithion 2's to michelin for this exact issue so im not sure where to go with this one as they will just think im taking the pee. i've no idea how it happened i havent been riding over any rough terrain no potholes or any glass and to be fair im devistated as these were truly the best tyres ive ever had and i cant afford to replace it not to mention the pricey latex tube that was in it. is there a wayt o repair the sidewall? i know you can get tyre boots but are there any of these that are rather permanent?

They're about 18 quid at Planet X at the moment, about the same for the pro 4 endurance too. Crc and tredz had those latex tubes reduced last time I looked too.

Have you checked the brake block alignment on the offending wheel? The heel / toe of the block isn't catching the sidewall on braking is it?

Also, is it happening with the same tyre and same side? R u using the bike for commuting? Is it someone at work or where you park your bike up being 'funny' with a penknife?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just had to order a new Pro 4 Endurance. Got written off on a big hole this morning. Even a passerby asked if the hole had done it. Claiming this time. Bloody chunk missing from rim that will need a file.

Spoke too soon didn't I.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Nope the break's are fine, I really fail to see how I've got sidewall damage as these have been ridden the same route over and over on good roads, It's not too big of a split so I'm thinking of getting it stitched closed then putting a tyre boot on the inside , anyone had any experience with this? I was thinking of taking it to a shop with a sewing machine to get it done really well

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I put some brand spanking new Pro 4 service corse on my bike on the Thursday 100 mile later on the Tuesday descending a small hill I heard a clicking, then I hit the corner fast @ 20mph lent over and BANG instant deflation, fractured and dislocated shoulder 8 weeks off the bike and work from home for 6 weeks.

Tyre still in my office, now they were tight buggers to get on but did it by hand and no levers, now compare mine to this http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/tyre-blow-out.112611/#post-2138296 Unless we are both crap at putting them on I believe there is a fault of some description. The beading had given way and tube came through and that was the clicking I heard until the boom.

DSC_0741.jpg

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
image.jpg
My lithions cut up like mad aswell until both sidewalks failed, I've repaired the pro4 I've been out on a test ride and seems fine feels no different and looks very secure, I got up to speed went on bumpy roads took a few speed umps abit quicker than I should as a tester and still looks fine but time will tell, I also switched it to the rear and am using the same punctured latex tube I repaired.

First I sewed the split together using dental floss ( strong and low friction) I then superglued the inside and out lightly to keep it in place,
I then glued on an old sidewall from a cheap Mtraxx tyre that came with an old Viking I used a longer bit than needed to spread the pressure and to not focus it on the point of repair ( god that tyre looked bullet proof the sidewall was so thick I struggled to cut it) the Michelin in comparison was like clingfilm.

Then finished the inner off with some afghan issue gaffa tape to stop the bit of rubber rubbing on the tube.
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Top Bottom