pro 4 sidewall failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Ummmm... I blew a front tyre a few weeks ago going down hill at about 35 mph. I ignored the rule and actually looked at a matchbox-sized object lying in the road, meaning that my front tyre at 100 psi hit it straight on. It was a stone; the tyre burst with a bang and I found myself in survival mode. Most of the braking on the rear wheel, stay upright and don't steer and I was able to stop safely with the tyre still on the rim. The puncture was two splits like snakebites where the stone had pressed the inner tube against the rim. I've also had a rear tyre deflate suddenly two-up on a motorbike at around 80 mph. Again by staying off the back brake and staying upright I was able to stop on the hard shoulder.

A tyre repair by stitching and glueing is probably fine for a while but tyres flex and sunlight degrades materials so you can never be sure it's not going to let go suddenly.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
It's was on the rear:smile:
Crap. Tourers only do that if they're stuck in the middle of nowhere without any other options. Given the choice, I'm sure they would get a new tyre. And if you think putting 100PSI into a 'repaired' tyre is a safe thing then riding it is a matter of personal choice then you clearly don't give a monkeys about anyone else on the road. Tyres are your only contact with the road, don't be stupid.

Tony.
Whatever mate, I'm not an idiot I don't go test these things in Newcastle City centre or on the A1 ( btw you wouldn't want to cycle on their ;) ) but my point stands if your ever stuck somewhere ona. Tour and need to get home you can always stitch your sidewall, numerous reports say this can last the entirety of your tyre for a road bike. You've Obviosily never tried it which is your choice but if you saw it on person and could feel it you would see that is is a solid repair. I'll ride on what I like thank you. I'd rather have a new tyre but it's not financially possible at this given time nor if you are out in the middle of Africa on a World tour. Everyone going somewhere where they need to survive should be carrying a needle and thread anyway.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
...Everyone going somewhere where they need to survive should be carrying a needle and thread anyway.

Shouldn't that be "Everyone going somewhere where they need to survive, should be carrying dental floss, superglue, an old sidewall from a cheap Mtraxx tyre that came with an old Viking, and some afghan issue gaffa tape..." ;)

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Shouldn't that be "Everyone going somewhere where they need to survive, should be carrying dental floss, superglue, an old sidewall from a cheap Mtraxx tyre that came with an old Viking, and some afghan issue gaffa tape..." ;)
the extras were simply to reinforce it but it can be done with just thread although alot of survival guides do recommend dental floss instead of thread. and tape should be carried everywhere be it wrapped around your torch or knife or on your mini pump. you should also be carrying a tyre boot anyway on a ride be it an old sidewall or bit of plastic

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
so coming home tonight i literally though wow these tyres are great not one flat yet ill put a review up when i get in,, then PSHHHSHSHSSH flat tyre, fair to say i wasnt happy,...but even worse was when i got it under a street light and saw a split sidewall now i returned 2 lithion 2's to michelin for this exact issue so im not sure where to go with this one as they will just think im taking the pee. i've no idea how it happened i havent been riding over any rough terrain no potholes or any glass and to be fair im devistated as these were truly the best tyres ive ever had and i cant afford to replace it not to mention the pricey latex tube that was in it. is there a wayt o repair the sidewall? i know you can get tyre boots but are there any of these that are rather permanent?

Funnily enough I had a problem with my pro 4's today, white walled ones. Got back from my ride and the tread was covered in little hairline cracks all the way round both wheels, both sides, about 3mm from the centre line. More worryingly they have started exuding a weird rubbery solvent smell.

Only done about 300miles on them.

This was just after a ride coming back down the mendips with mrs p, hitting 30-35 mph on the way back :eek:

Just gave michelin a ring and they said send them back to us and we'll investigate and potentially replace.
Worth a punt.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Got two more sets in the garage I got on a deal, prob gonna put those on, if the crack or star playing silly buggers I'll be back onto continentals.

Broadside

Guru
I've had a Pro4 sidewall failure today. I put them on some new wheels and changed to latex inners at the same time.

I do wonder if the extra supple latex has uncovered a weakness in the Pro4 tyre that the previous butyl inner (being less flexible) was masking. I'm worried about putting another Pro4 on there and have the same thing happen.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Haven't had an issue since, been running 25c tyres and not punctured once just had to move to lithions though. For budget :/ they are still good tyres though, there's a new v2 version out now so dunno what that's about

RebornBumbler

My pair of Pro4 Grips have been superb throughout the winter even though I sliced a hole in the rear sidewall after just a couple of hundred miles. I doubt many (any?) tyres wouldn't have been similarly affected - a nasty piece of flint that was the stuff of a caveman's dreams.
I patched the inside with a thin piece of Zaffiro tyre and no problems since.

The rear is now looking generally sad, so I'll probably get a new front and do the tyre shuffle soon, but I'm sold on Pro4s. (I have regular Pro4s on the F95 green machine).

Top Bottom