Pro team kit or normal kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doctornige

For my part, people can wear what he heck they like. Personally, I feel comfortable in pain kit, my club kit, and in plain bottoms and a team jersey if I am rooting for the team or just like it. I would not be happy in any unearned points or champ jersey, but that is just me. I would not pass any judgement on anyone wishing to do so because this is simply unkind. Kindness is an important aspect of being a worthy human.

Christopher

Über Member
I think scruff makes a good point. We should be encouranging people to cycle & not caring at all what they wear as long as it is up to the job.

IME if you wear a yellow cycling top that resembles the leader's jersey from that TDF, you will be mocked by the general public - I have a yellow Campag top I no longer wear for that reason.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
Only a c0ck would openly mock someone on a bike because they're wearing pro kit.

No-one said you can't wear your world champion polkadot jersey. I don't care if you do actually. And since you don't want to join a club then it's not a problem is it, but the simple fact is that there's a tradition within cycling clubs not to wear world or national champs jerseys. It's not bigoted at all. It's their club, they can decide what is and isn't acceptable to wear. Remember that most cycling clubs start from a group of mates riding together.

i wasnt saying clubs are bigoted, i was saying mr bunbury was being bigoted, the individual cyclist isnt hurting anyone. in fact he might inspire other out of shape people to give it a try.

my dad got on a bike for the first time in 48 yrs because i took up cycling again.

Mr Bunbury

It's interesting that the people supposedly most concerned about new cyclists being given offence because of their kit choices, are also the most foul-mouthed on this thread. Now I'm a bigot, apparently :wacko:

Apply a little sense. The next Cavendish or Wiggins may never join a club because the first time he turns up wearing a jersey that inspires him, he gets told to change.

Apply a little sense. Young Bradley's new club are not going to leap off their bikes and beat him with frame pumps the first time he turns up in a Radioshack jersey. These engagements will all follow the normal rules of human conduct: most people won't say anything, but one old codger at the back will start affectionately calling him "Young Lance" and then spend the rest of the ride regaling him with stories of "Eeeeh Young Lance, did ah tell ye about the time I beat Alf Engers in a '10? He grew up te be almost as fast as the real Lance, ye' know!" After a few months, Young 'Lance' Bradley will get bored of the nickname and buy a club jersey.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I can't agree with this 'tradition' thing. It might be in some, but I've never come across it in any of the clubs that I've been involved with...

People in our club have never mocked me for wearing my Garmin jersey and it is PINK! That said, I do prefer to wear my club kit when riding with the club, look's pro to onlookers :smile:

redcard

Veteran
+1 although id say if you have it and want to spend it do so....
in fairness most people say im new to cycling what bike should i buy for x? ive never seen anyone say i have a grand and someone else try to suggest they spend 1500.

Well done on getting the point was making.

You can bet that most people on this thread would gently persuade their friend to get regular kit and not a replica kit. And I include in that all the right-on freedom fighters :thumbsup:

It's about guiding people towards making the correct decisions.

redcard

Veteran
if im fat and walking up a hill in a polka dot jersey because im new to cycling and cracked, thats still none of your business, by all means crack a joke, just make sure i dont hear you because my extra weight gives me an advantage downhill and i will catch you and will punch you in the face.

Looking down at someone because they dont follow the unwritten rules of cycling is pretty closed minded, if you want to keep cycling as a closed shop i have news for you. us fattys are coming and we are doing a lot more good than bad!

I can't work out if you're for or against freedom of speech /expression.

How many people have you punched in the face for calling you fat?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
If they didnt want you to wear it, they wouldn't sell it. Its only the bigoted snobs that care what people wear.

I have a yellow tdf jersey, i have the welsh national jersey, i also have wiggle dragon ride jersey, did i earn them by being a pro cyclist - NOPE, i bought them with my hard earned cash and i'll wear them with pride.

Now lets go cycling - let the fat boy, ride his bike.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If they didnt want you to wear it, they wouldn't sell it. Its only the bigoted snobs that care what people wear.

I have a yellow tdf jersey, i have the welsh national jersey, i also have wiggle dragon ride jersey, did i earn them by being a pro cyclist - NOPE, i bought them with my hard earned cash and i'll wear them with pride.

Now lets go cycling - let the fat boy, ride his bike.

I think these are the ambiguous ones! What most people don't realise is that it is not just the untouchable pro's on TV riding for these jersey's but your local club riders are also slaying themselves to earn the right to wear those jersey's with the national bands.

The proper pro kit, or the polka dot, yellow, green, yellow jersey's well everyone know's you didn't win the TdF or whatnot, but say the British band's well that is not quite so obvious.

OP
OP
A

Andy_G

One things for sure i wont be wearing a Polka dot jersey, and if i do buy a Sky kit it will be from their shop down Grays Inn Road, so hopefully it wont be a knock off.

I think some peeps need a chill pill.

I think these are the ambiguous ones!

Without knowing exactly which jersey jowwy means, my guess it is one of the 'non-specific' designs with the Welsh dragon on it(?) The Welsh 'national championship' jerseys themselves (red with white & green stripe across the chest) are not commercially available, as far as I'm aware...so genuinely do need to be won in order to be worn...

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Without knowing exactly which jersey jowwy means, my guess it is one of the 'non-specific' designs with the Welsh dragon on it(?) The Welsh 'national championship' jerseys themselves are not commercially available, as far as I'm aware...so really do need to be won in order to be worn...

You can buy some national jersey's, at least replica's. Fairly generic, but with the colour bands and sold as national champ's jersey's, PBK used to have a lot of them, own branded.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Without knowing exactly which jersey jowwy means, my guess it is one of the 'non-specific' designs with the Welsh dragon on it(?) The Welsh 'national championship' jerseys themselves (red with white & green stripe across the chest) are not commercially available, as far as I'm aware...so genuinely do need to be won in order to be worn...
Its the endura welsh jersey available to buy from chain reaction cycles. Support my national flag by wearing it.

Top Bottom