Probably been asked a thousand times but....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are you seriously comparing deaf people to blind people? Wow!

Is that also rather inconvenient?

Impairment is not limited to one sense. The perspective is just how much impairment one is willing to tolerate in road users.

buggi

Bird Saviour
just bcoz you hear a car doesn't tell you whether its going to hit you or not. I've ridden with, and without, and don't think it makes any difference coz i would never move out without looking. Its only the same as playing loud music in your car IMO. the biggest problem is, if you do get knocked off, whether the insurance company will use it to reduce your compensation.
i get the reports of near misses at work. Interestingly, one driver reported nearly hitting a cyclist on a left turn. He turned left at the same time as the cyclist and states the cyclist was wearing head phones. Clearly the driver is under the impression that this caused the near miss... Not the fact he hooked left around him. perhaps he thought if the cyclist heard him he would have got off the road for him???

I had one of those at a car park and complained

From the woodwork came two witnesses who backed ip the driver's story that I was nowhere near the turning and that I had been aggressive , foul mouthed and intimidating

Asked for the statements to be placed in writing..... Then produced the video that showed the witnesses were not where they claimed to be, that I had not dismounted the trike, approached the driver or spoken to them

Apparently they had confused it with "another incident" and apologised

Not however before being given a warning

Back on topic....

The insurance issue is another reason for a level playing field

That is why the unpopular analogies are important

If impairing your hearing is unacceptable on a bike then it should be unacceptable in a car

If choosing not to prevent injuries by wearing "protective" equipment is used against cyclists then choosing a vehicle you know will inflict greater injury should be used against a motorist

sazzaa

Question - how important is the the auditory input to road users?

In a car, not very. I drove with tunes on full blast yesterday and it made no difference to anything (probably because when you drive you aren't relying on outside noise to warn you of any danger, unlike on a bike), the only thing I found myself being concerned about was that I wouldn't hear any emergency sirens. I resolved this by looking in my mirrors a bit more. On my bike I like to hear what's going on around me, as a matter of safety, because I'm far more vulnerable on a bike. Can you really not see the difference?

In a car, not very. I drove with tunes on full blast yesterday and it made no difference to anything (probably because when you drive you aren't relying on outside noise to warn you of any danger, unlike on a bike), the only thing I found myself being concerned about was that I wouldn't hear any emergency sirens. I resolved this by looking in my mirrors a bit more. On my bike I like to hear what's going on around me, as a matter of safety, because I'm far more vulnerable on a bike. Can you really not see the difference?

Hardly considerate or safe driving and certainly in contravention of the Highway Code.... nice admission!

As for your opinion the pertinent point is that you "like" to hear what is going on.... an entirely personal choice, yet you are quite happy to drive in contravention of teh Highway Code!!!!

Also a fail in the theory test

Leaving aside the dodgy driving........your whole argument is based on a self admitted preference!

What you need to answer is the following:

If I choose to ride my trike in the same dangerous way you drive:

I rode with tunes on full blast yesterday and it made no difference to anything the only thing I found myself being concerned about was that I wouldn't hear any emergency sirens. I resolved this by looking in my mirrors a bit more.

Why should a cyclist not compensate in the same way?

Last edited:
[QUOTE 2689318, member: 45"]Wrong question.[/quote]

...or one you simply wish to avoid?

Why can a cyclist not compensate?

Disabled people do this all the time!

[QUOTE 2689332, member: 45"]You're verging on the nonsense again.

Clue -disabled people have to do this all the time.[/quote]

Bizarre!

Are you really suggesting that cyclists cannot compensate?

You are fixed with this weird idea that mirrors in a car mean you do not need to hear your surroundings, yet mirrors on a bike don't have the same magical effect!

In both cases the ability to hear your surroundings enhances your ability to respond to events

sazzaa

Hardly considerate or safe driving and certainly in contravention of the Highway Code.... nice admission!

Can you point me to where in the Highway code it says that I MUST NOT listen to music? Because all I could find were advisories and to ensure safe driving practices at all times. I was perfectly safe thanks, not entirely sure what you thought was going to happen. But I am happy to admit I'm wrong if you can find the relevant rule!

Can you point me to where in the Highway code it says that I MUST NOT listen to music? Because all I could find were advisories and to ensure safe driving practices at all times. I was perfectly safe thanks, not entirely sure what you thought was going to happen. But I am happy to admit I'm wrong if you can find the relevant rule!

You are really that unaware of the Highway Code!

The theory test states that:

You should not allow yourself to be distracted when driving. You need to concentrate fully in order to be safe on the road. Loud music could mask other sounds, such as the audible warning of an emergency vehicle.

Then see rule 148

Yet you seem to be claiming that you can manage quite well with maximum volume, despite the evidence against your claims!

Loud music is shown to impair response times and increase accidents!

But I am sure you are exempt from this

sazzaa

Also, feel free to link me up to some evidence too. I'd like to read some published studies on the matter if you've got any to hand? I always wondered if the type of music you listen to makes a difference too....

Should not, not MUST NOT. There is a huge difference.

The Highway Code is an enabling document.... and your assumption that just because the wording is "should not" allows you to drive in contravention is extremely worrying.

If you choose to do so you are demonstrably failing to drive to a reasonable standard

Although failure to comply with the other rules of The Highway Code will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts to establish liability. This includes rules which use advisory wording such as ‘should/should not’ or ‘do/do not’.

Knowing and applying the rules contained in The Highway Code could significantly reduce road casualties. Cutting the number of deaths and injuries that occur on our roads every day is a responsibility we all share

Which other "should not" rules in the Highway Code do you consider yourself exempt from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom