Probably The Best Bike Light In The World?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G2EWS

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Wow! I want one, but thats got to be seriously inappropriate for road use, forget dazzling drivers youll probably set them on fire :biggrin:

I have the Magicshine MJ-872 and it is insanely bright. Never to be used on full brightness on the road with traffic. Many people recommend them for value and performance. Lots of lights out there these days that will do a good job.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Wow! I want one, but thats got to be seriously inappropriate for road use, forget dazzling drivers youll probably set them on fire :biggrin:
That's my first reaction too - and any cyclists/walkers coming the other way are going to be pretty unhappy!
That's what I need, advice on whether I should buy this for my commute.

Will it be OK turned down?
It depends just how dark your commute is and how much traffic you usually encounter.
Without a beam shot it's difficult to say whether it would be ok turned down. The kind of control it uses will also limit how quickly you can turn it up or down, if it's a paddle switch you can do it quickly but if it's button controlled and you have to cycle through it will obviously be slower.

Doseone

Guru
I bought a £40 Cree jobby off ebay last year. Supposed to be 1500 lumens but who knows. It is really really bright, plenty bright enough for the dark lanes around here. I do wonder what the advantage of the £400 plus lights are.

Why can we not have the equivalent of a car/motorcycle headlight?
Something as bright as one above for a high beam, with the trapezoidal shape of a B&M and a button under the thumb for a high/low function.
Or am I asking too much?

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
I bought a £40 Cree jobby off ebay last year. Supposed to be 1500 lumens but who knows. It is really really bright, plenty bright enough for the dark lanes around here. I do wonder what the advantage of the £400 plus lights are.
Probably overall build quality, beam shape, and battery longevity/run time. I know that with cheaper lights you can replace them if they go wrong, but I'd rather something didn't go wrong/snap off/run out of of power when I'm on a pitch black, potholey, fast descent!

tigger

Über Member
Ordered a 1000 lumen XML T6 for £40.00 from him a couple of days ago. Hoping it will be up to the job for my night time training rides on roads and trails

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
That's what I need, advice on whether I should buy this for my commute.

Will it be OK turned down?

Regards

Chris

The problem with that light is that its low mode is still going to be brighter than most people run their magicshines and theyre all pointed in the same direction, IMHO its better to go for 2 weaker ones and use one like dipped and one like full beam. Its shocking how bright these super LED lights are if theyre pointed at you, definitely worth having a look from a distance if you own one.... From memory the photos below are an mj-872 at full power, just taken with a smartphone camera (apologies for quality) from 150+ metres away. That said ive just bought a T6 to go with it :smile:

IMAG1923.jpg
IMAG1926.jpg

Doseone

Guru
Probably overall build quality, beam shape, and battery longevity/run time. I know that with cheaper lights you can replace them if they go wrong, but I'd rather something didn't go wrong/snap off/run out of of power when I'm on a pitch black, potholey, fast descent!
Or possibly a charger that isn't a house fire waiting to happen!!

DrLex

merely the moocher
Why can we not have the equivalent of a car/motorcycle headlight?
Something as bright as one above for a high beam, with the trapezoidal shape of a B&M and a button under the thumb for a high/low function.
Or am I asking too much?

Have a look at the Philips Ridesafe LED front light - a review. Bought one for €90 after being disappointed with the dazzling nature of the £30 dealxtreme MagicShine copy. Soon after bought the dynamo version for the other bike.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I can't understand why Magicshine (or the cloners) don't make a version of the 808, 872 or whatever but with some form of beam cut-off... there's bound to be a huge market for it. Maybe it exists already and I've just missed it though LOL!

Although I got a Moon XP500 last year, I'm seriously considering replacing it with a Trelock LS950 - looks like the perfect road commuter headlight.

Top Bottom