Probably The Best Bike Light In The World?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

As someone explained here a couple of years ago, he biggest problem with the new generation of super bright cycle lighting is that many of them are based upon flashlight reflectors which do not give a beam pattern suitable for road use. The risk of course is that one could be fitted to a cycle which dazzles other vehicles, and they then can't see what is in front of them - A car or motorcycle would fail an MOT if the dip beam pattern is wrong, and many ofthese cycle lights are now brighter than the headlights of many older vehicles. Use of them needs to be accompanied by common sense as widspread adoption of them will be followed by demands for regulation. If anything brings in a bicycle MOT test, that will be it in my view

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Hi Rob,

Which photography forum are you on? I don't go on them much these days with other commitments, but my favourite has to be 'Photography Forum'.

Regards

Chris

Yes, that one :tongue:

BTW, just collected our second Torchy light from the post office, going to give it a charge over lunch.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Having asked Torchy he said the lamp would be fine for the British winter, but my opinion is that the £39.99 jobbie is not something I would recommend for all weather cyclists, for the fair weather pussies, it will suit you ok.

Basically the cable entry point into the lamp is not sealed and there are "vents" or heatsink's on the sides which do not look water tight. Also the connection between battery and lamp is not sealed like on my slightly more expensive one. Also the mount seems less robust, and was wonky, I had to loosen it, align it then re-tighten. Other than this, build quality seems decent, but clearly not as well made as my £60 light (as expected).

Since this light is only for my girlfriend to ride very short distances (few mile here and there), I can safely water seal it to withstand the weather during her journey, but this might increase heat build up, so not suitable for longer distances. Would not recommend this to serious commuters or milage monsters. Only occasional pootlers.

As for the light output, it is plenty bright enough, high is very bright and illuminated a large office in daylight, on the low setting again plenty bright for purpose the spot being clearly visible on a wall 15 metre's away in daylight. The flashing mode is a useless strobe mode which unless you plan on doing drive by epilepsy tests is a waste of time.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Road.cc tested one of those just after the Moon...and a friend uses one, he says it's excellent all round.
Cheers Baggy:thumbsup: I've read that review, but it's good to hear that someone who owns and uses one rates it highly. The Moon is really good, but I think – especially for road-based commuting – the Trelock is the better of the two.

The Magicshine MJ-872 is one of those uber bright lights and possibly dangerous on the road if on full power but, if used correctly, it is a fantastic all rounder that allows off road, country lane and street cycling. It has four different power outputs and simply select the one suitable for your surroundings. It is a simple up and down selector which goes through the modes. Simples. It does have a battery pack but this fits quite easily on any bike and can be moved over from one bike to another in a minute.

tigger

Über Member
Having asked Torchy he said the lamp would be fine for the British winter, but my opinion is that the £39.99 jobbie is not something I would recommend for all weather cyclists, for the fair weather pussies, it will suit you ok.

Bugger. I wish you told me that before I bought it!

mrmacmusic

Veteran
My bad I misread. The Moon is being replaced. Dammit what am I missing :-(
I'm only considering replacing the Moon... it's an excellent light IMHO, but because I'm now spending more time amongst traffic on main roads (rather than just back roads and cycle paths), I think the more "sociable" controlled beam pattern of the Trelock LS950 makes it a better solution.

Had the Magicshine out tonight for 2 hours and 18 minutes. The battery lasted all through on second power setting mostly, sometimes on 3rd. It also powers my Magicshine rear light which is on all the time too. The guys were amazed at how bright the rear light was. Time i got home the battery indicator was yellow meaning 25-50% left. No bad.

tigger

Über Member
I only just found out! I just collected it from the post office yesterday morning.

Let you off... Well it arrived today. I take your point about the connections and vents. The light itself seems pretty decent though. Will have to see how it goes longer term with the weather

RhythMick

Über Member
I bought the light in the OP from Torchy. Will let you know how I get on.

Planning to put this on the bars, run in on medium or low for commuting and high on trails, with the Moon XP500 serving helmet light duty.

I'd like to do the overnight Bristol to Exmouth ride next year, August time I think.

Top Bottom