Probably The Best Bike Light In The World?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Check out his eBay listing and the photos:

http://www.lightmalls.com/3600-lumen-3t6-led-high-power-bicycle-light-for-3-cree-xm-l-t6-4-mode-led-bike-light-kit
Insanely bright!

As long as they don't dazzle other drivers on the road, this may well be my very next purchase!

Regards

Chris

http://www.lightmalls.com/3600-lumens

Same thing, maybe not as good quality though

I like the Philips SafeRide 80 as well - and it's a lot cheaper here; http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a39159/bike-light-led-80-lux-black.html?lg=en&cr=GBP

It's not as 'pretty' as the Lezyne lights but seems good value.

I like Philips as a brand too - I have Philips stereos, Blu-ray, CD-players, monitors, etc. :blush:
I do not need another light.
I do not need another light, repeat...
But why is it we (in the UK) seem so poorly served with a choice decent quality lights? I've got a couple of B&M lights and bought those from Germany too due to price and, just as much, them not being in stock anywhere in UK I tried.
DX and the other perennial popular Ay-ups are all imports too.

Course, it could just be me being picky :whistle:

The problem with that light is that its low mode is still going to be brighter than most people run their magicshines and theyre all pointed in the same direction, IMHO its better to go for 2 weaker ones and use one like dipped and one like full beam. Its shocking how bright these super LED lights are if theyre pointed at you, definitely worth having a look from a distance if you own one.... From memory the photos below are an mj-872 at full power, just taken with a smartphone camera (apologies for quality) from 150+ metres away. That said ive just bought a T6 to go with it :smile:

View attachment 12590 View attachment 12591
Bit like a car on full beam isn't it! Yeh on the road the Magishine needs to be on one of the lower settings. Though out in the back and beyond the full power is most welcome. :sun:

BSRU

A Human Being
Been researching lights and found this report from Torchy The Battery Boy:

http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/bike-light-database.html

Don't bother trying to view it on your mobile as it will take hours to load!

Check out his eBay listing and the photos:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3000-Lumen-Fluxient-3x-XM-L-U2-solid-swivel-mount-brightest-market-/300775253389?_trksid=p4340.m1850&_trkparms=aid=222002&algo=SIC.FIT&ao=1&asc=11&meid=1977747690346021456&pid=100011&prg=1005&rk=1&#ht_3586wt_1139

Insanely bright!

As long as they don't dazzle other drivers on the road, this may well be my very next purchase!

Regards

Chris
I have that light, only to be used on unlit country lanes when no other road users are in front of me.

OP
OP
G2EWS

G2EWS

I have that light, only to be used on unlit country lanes when no other road users are in front of me.

Hi BSRU,

What's it like when on the lowest setting?

Whereabouts in Swindon are you? PM if you don't want to give details on the open forum.

Regards

Chris

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have a light from Torchy, not that one, a "lower" spec one. But it is very impressive in terms of brightness and IMO there is no point in spending more. On club rides on unlit lanes I use it on the bright setting to light up as far ahead as I can to help with spotting pot holes etc so they can be called out in advance, when not on the front, I hope it helps other riders to see things. It is bright enough to safely go full gas on unlit country lanes in the pitch black! In the city, I switch it to the low setting and aim it down a bit more.

You could always DIY something with a bit of flexible plastic and some tape or an elastic band to avoid blinding oncoming drivers etc. G2EWS, being a photographer (btw I am on a photography forum that you use and have been for a couple of years :tongue:) you will be plenty capable of knocking together something.

Today our second light from Torchy will be arriving, will report back on it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can get a lens for the 808 that spreads the light out horizontally. Having got the Magicshine 808E (updated T6 LED) they are way too bright for safe road use with the spill. I shield the top 7mm of the lens with tape and run it pointed down at the road if I use it on road (which is usually when it's icy, then I do 80% off road). It's great off road though !

The one listed by the OP is an off road light.

If you want one be wary and run it low. Buying from torchy is a good option as the seller does ensure the stuff is good before going out.

rb58

Enigma
One thing that is often overlooked is the size of the battery pack. My Exposure Joystick is plenty bright enough for dark country lanes and is a really good 'look at me light' for the commute. And it is all self contained in a small unit with no separate battery pack. Exposure lights are expensive I know, but it feels like a quality item.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I run what I feel is a hard to beat combination:

The dynamo version of the Philips Saferide, which is an excellent beam shape. Lights up the whole of the width of a country lane for a goodly distance ahead without being too dazzling for oncoming traffic. To be sure I'm not dazzling anyone I have it pointed slightly more down than is strictly necessary, so it limits the range it shines out to, although still good for 15 mph+ on a dark night. It's mounted on the fork crown like most dynamo lights, and I've replaced the rather fragile original Philips bracket with a stronger Busch & Mueller one.

AND

On the handlebars, one of Torchy's 1000 lumen XML-T6 torches. This has a relatively narrow "hot-spot" and I have this pointing well down the road for maximum visibility when pelting down a hill at 30 mph or more. I only switch it on when I'm going quickly and it's positioned so that I can put my hand in front of it when I meet an oncoming car. A kind of manual "beam dipping" if you will.

Personally I don't like separate battery packs - there's enough clutter on my bike as it is.

OP
OP
G2EWS

G2EWS

I have a light from Torchy, not that one, a "lower" spec one. But it is very impressive in terms of brightness and IMO there is no point in spending more. On club rides on unlit lanes I use it on the bright setting to light up as far ahead as I can to help with spotting pot holes etc so they can be called out in advance, when not on the front, I hope it helps other riders to see things. It is bright enough to safely go full gas on unlit country lanes in the pitch black! In the city, I switch it to the low setting and aim it down a bit more.

You could always DIY something with a bit of flexible plastic and some tape or an elastic band to avoid blinding oncoming drivers etc. G2EWS, being a photographer (btw I am on a photography forum that you use and have been for a couple of years :tongue:) you will be plenty capable of knocking together something.

Today our second light from Torchy will be arriving, will report back on it.

Hi Rob,

Which photography forum are you on? I don't go on them much these days with other commitments, but my favourite has to be 'Photography Forum'.

Regards

Chris

OP
OP
G2EWS

G2EWS

As far as I remember it is is still brighter than my Magicshine.

I work in west Swindon but live in central Swindon.

Ah, used to live in Freshbrook, West Swindon of course, but that was nearly 25 years ago! Oh my that is a long time!

Regards

Chris

Top Bottom