Problem at work - wc related

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ripple

Ripple

Veteran
Could it be that single sex toilets are consitered diciminatory towards trans and non-binary identifying people?
Don't know. Among zillions of various reasons this one was never mentioned.

classic33

Leg End Member
Could it be that single sex toilets are consitered diciminatory towards trans and non-binary identifying people?
The HSE page is up to date, and there's a clear distinction made between provision for male and females in the workplace.

"The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 state under Regulation 20 that employers need to provide separate rooms containing toilets for men and women. Toilets used by women must also be provided with facilities for disposing of sanitary towels."

OP
OP
Ripple

Ripple

Veteran

classic33

Leg End Member
@classic33

Once I didn't make it to wc.

From my experience workplaces have got their own laws. I know 100% of a case at this site when a shift manager forbid all his staff to go to wc for 4 hours because there have been a VIP visiting site that day.
Will they be willing to accept responsibility if something goes wrong?

I'd a "manager", by work title only, who did something similar. He got to spend a warm afternoon in a small room, with my trousers. Whilst explaining to his boss why he felt he could do it.

He got a reminder about the DDA 1995, and his responsibilities under it.

classic33

Leg End Member
I searched all over the Internet and learned one thing - there's no mentioning about the distance. All I was able to find was "reasonable distance". Very accurate description ... nope.
Reasonable for someone taking medication that leaves you needing access at shorter notice, isn't the same as for someone who isn't taking prescribed medication.

This is covered by the Equalities Act 2010, previously covered by the DDA 1995.

DRM

Guru
I said to my colleague today "I will sh1t by site manager's office and will knock on the door. And will run away".

P. S. I looked for all available info about toilets at workplace. Technically we are provided with toilets according all legal requirements. Problem is the distance to them.

Do it in paper, wrap it up and set fire to it before knocking, hopefully he’ll stamp it out! xx(

OP
OP
Ripple

Ripple

Veteran
@classic33

There are so many various bosses at work that it probably will take another 5 centuries just to find out who's responsible for what. As I said I'm just a mere security officer who's easily replaceable.

classic33

Leg End Member
@classic33

There are so many various bosses at work that it probably will take another 5 centuries just to find out who's responsible for what. As I said I'm just a mere security officer who's easily replaceable.
You are a person doing a job, remember that.

I was just a baggage handler, who got pushed a bit too far by one "manager". He thought he could do what he wanted, he was proved wrong.

Local HSE office isn't open while Monday now, so specific answers can't be got from them. Only answers from their site.

OP
OP
Ripple

Ripple

Veteran
Are you civil service staff or 3rd party security assigned to that site?

Are you a member of a union?
3rd party security.
No.

You know this - agency, minimum pay (in my case just above), no sick pay, work mix of days/nights etc.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
The HSE page is up to date, and there's a clear distinction made between provision for male and females in the workplace.

"The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 state under Regulation 20 that employers need to provide separate rooms containing toilets for men and women. Toilets used by women must also be provided with facilities for disposing of sanitary towels."

What the regulations actually say is:
20.—(1) Suitable and sufficient sanitary conveniences shall be provided at readily accessible places.

(2) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (1), sanitary conveniences shall not be suitable unless—

(a)the rooms containing them are adequately ventilated and lit;

(b)they and the rooms containing them are kept in a clean and orderly condition; and

(c)separate rooms containing conveniences are provided for men and women except where and so far as each convenience is in a separate room the door of which is capable of being secured from inside.

So no need for separate facilities if it is one per room. I have worked in a few places with facilities like that.

classic33

Leg End Member
What the regulations actually say is:
20.—(1) Suitable and sufficient sanitary conveniences shall be provided at readily accessible places.

(2) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (1), sanitary conveniences shall not be suitable unless—

(a)the rooms containing them are adequately ventilated and lit;

(b)they and the rooms containing them are kept in a clean and orderly condition; and

(c)separate rooms containing conveniences are provided for men and women except where and so far as each convenience is in a separate room the door of which is capable of being secured from inside.

So no need for separate facilities if it is one per room. I have worked in a few places with facilities like that.
"C" includes the washing facilities provided, which are also to be separate.

Non of this helps with the problem of poor toilet provision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom