!! Problem fitting road brake levers to drops !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlexStevens

I have purchased a pair of BL-07 Dia Compe brake levers for drop handlebars which I am going to fit to my singlespeed bike which I am building at the moment.

However I am having a bit of trouble fitting them and I was wondering whether people could give me some help? :biggrin:

When I try and get them onto the handlebars they go on and then stop when you try and push them to the correct position because the metal which goes round the handlebars is too tight.

You can adjust the width of the bit of metal that goes round the handlebars by an allen bolt inside the levers but it is very difficult to get inside their...

Tips and help please!!

Domeo

If you pull the lever (as though you are braking) you should see the top of an allen bolt. This is used for adjusting the diameter of the brake bracket.

Matthames

Über Member
My top tip for this is to use a head torch if you have one. It should illuminate the top of the allen bolt clearly making things easier to see.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Might be better over in Know How ....

But we discussed this over in chat - the answer is to use a single allen key. A multi-tool or a 3-way allen key will likely not be long enough.

Look for a "ball-end" type of preference as these cope with any slight mis-alignment.

Top Bottom