1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem getting road tax.

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by cannondale boy, 16 Nov 2007.

1. cannondale boy

cannondale boy Über Member

Heres my dilemma, i have just got an mot done last month, thats fine. I have no insurance and only use the car once a month if that. Right now i havent used the car for two months. Problem i have right now, is that can't get a new car tax disc unless i forfeit paying for insurance for a year (which is pointless). So what should i do 1) SORN it, 2)SELL it, or 3) PAY for both. It's a reliable car (vw) 13 years old and has served me well...would be sad to see it go but don't have a driveway, damn!

2. cannondale boy

Heres my dilemma, i have just got an mot done last month, thats fine. I have no insurance and only use the car once a month if that. Right now i havent used the car for two months. Problem i have right now, is that can't get a new car tax disc unless i forfeit paying for insurance for a year (which is pointless). So what should i do 1) SORN it, 2)SELL it, or 3) PAY for both. It's a reliable car (vw) 13 years old and has served me well...would be sad to see it go but don't have a driveway, damn!

3. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I don't understand. Why would you want to tax it if you're not going to insure it?

4. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I don't understand. Why would you want to tax it if you're not going to insure it?

5. cannondale boy

£400 to insure it...£115 to tax it...only use the car if i am going somewhere far and put the bike on top of the car. I do insure it at a website called tempcover.com just for a day here and a day there. But they won't accept insurance thats a day here and a day there, which is c**p.

6. cannondale boy

£400 to insure it...£115 to tax it...only use the car if i am going somewhere far and put the bike on top of the car. I do insure it at a website called tempcover.com just for a day here and a day there. But they won't accept insurance thats a day here and a day there, which is c**p.

7. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Oh, I see.

Is it illegal to take out a full policy, tax the car, then cancel the policy? Most policies have a cooling off period.

That's just an idea. If it's illegal, I wouldn't recommend it.

8. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Oh, I see.

Is it illegal to take out a full policy, tax the car, then cancel the policy? Most policies have a cooling off period.

That's just an idea. If it's illegal, I wouldn't recommend it.

9. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

It is worth noting that Road Tax was abolished by Winston Churchill in 1936, which brought to an end to hypothecated road taxation in Britain...

10. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

It is worth noting that Road Tax was abolished by Winston Churchill in 1936, which brought to an end to hypothecated road taxation in Britain...

11. Stig-OT-Dump

Stig-OT-Dump Über Member

Is there anywhere local you can store it off road? We used to house several motorbikes and a car in an out-building.

12. Stig-OT-Dump

Stig-OT-Dump Über Member

Is there anywhere local you can store it off road? We used to house several motorbikes and a car in an out-building.

13. P.H

P.H Über Member

For that amount of usage it'd make more sense to hire when needed. I haven't had a car for nearly ten years and hire around seven times a year, usually for a weekend occasionally just the day and very rarley for a week. There are so many hire places near me there's always one offering a deal and I get to choose the most appropriate car for the journey.
    I'd also consider the damage being done to your car just sitting there for long periods of time, it's not good for them.

BTW - I belive it's an offence to keep an uninsured car on the road whether you're using it or not.

14. P.H

P.H Über Member

For that amount of usage it'd make more sense to hire when needed. I haven't had a car for nearly ten years and hire around seven times a year, usually for a weekend occasionally just the day and very rarley for a week. There are so many hire places near me there's always one offering a deal and I get to choose the most appropriate car for the journey.
    I'd also consider the damage being done to your car just sitting there for long periods of time, it's not good for them.

BTW - I belive it's an offence to keep an uninsured car on the road whether you're using it or not.

15. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

If it's not road taxed it has to be SORN'ed - whether on road or not - even stored. The only way is to take it off road, SORN it then don't use it, or get rid ! Occasional hire like above or taxi's would be cheaper when needed !