Problem getting road tax.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cannondale boy

Über Member
Heres my dilemma, i have just got an mot done last month, thats fine. I have no insurance and only use the car once a month if that. Right now i havent used the car for two months. Problem i have right now, is that can't get a new car tax disc unless i forfeit paying for insurance for a year (which is pointless). So what should i do 1) SORN it, 2)SELL it, or 3) PAY for both. It's a reliable car (vw) 13 years old and has served me well...would be sad to see it go but don't have a driveway, damn!

OP
OP
cannondale boy

cannondale boy

Über Member
Heres my dilemma, i have just got an mot done last month, thats fine. I have no insurance and only use the car once a month if that. Right now i havent used the car for two months. Problem i have right now, is that can't get a new car tax disc unless i forfeit paying for insurance for a year (which is pointless). So what should i do 1) SORN it, 2)SELL it, or 3) PAY for both. It's a reliable car (vw) 13 years old and has served me well...would be sad to see it go but don't have a driveway, damn!

OP
OP
cannondale boy

cannondale boy

Über Member
I don't understand. Why would you want to tax it if you're not going to insure it?

£400 to insure it...£115 to tax it...only use the car if i am going somewhere far and put the bike on top of the car. I do insure it at a website called tempcover.com just for a day here and a day there. But they won't accept insurance thats a day here and a day there, which is c**p.

OP
OP
cannondale boy

cannondale boy

Über Member
I don't understand. Why would you want to tax it if you're not going to insure it?

£400 to insure it...£115 to tax it...only use the car if i am going somewhere far and put the bike on top of the car. I do insure it at a website called tempcover.com just for a day here and a day there. But they won't accept insurance thats a day here and a day there, which is c**p.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
It is worth noting that Road Tax was abolished by Winston Churchill in 1936, which brought to an end to hypothecated road taxation in Britain...

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
It is worth noting that Road Tax was abolished by Winston Churchill in 1936, which brought to an end to hypothecated road taxation in Britain...

P.H

Über Member
For that amount of usage it'd make more sense to hire when needed. I haven't had a car for nearly ten years and hire around seven times a year, usually for a weekend occasionally just the day and very rarley for a week. There are so many hire places near me there's always one offering a deal and I get to choose the most appropriate car for the journey.
I'd also consider the damage being done to your car just sitting there for long periods of time, it's not good for them.

BTW - I belive it's an offence to keep an uninsured car on the road whether you're using it or not.

P.H

Über Member
For that amount of usage it'd make more sense to hire when needed. I haven't had a car for nearly ten years and hire around seven times a year, usually for a weekend occasionally just the day and very rarley for a week. There are so many hire places near me there's always one offering a deal and I get to choose the most appropriate car for the journey.
I'd also consider the damage being done to your car just sitting there for long periods of time, it's not good for them.

BTW - I belive it's an offence to keep an uninsured car on the road whether you're using it or not.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If it's not road taxed it has to be SORN'ed - whether on road or not - even stored. The only way is to take it off road, SORN it then don't use it, or get rid ! Occasional hire like above or taxi's would be cheaper when needed !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If it's not road taxed it has to be SORN'ed - whether on road or not - even stored. The only way is to take it off road, SORN it then don't use it, or get rid ! Occasional hire like above or taxi's would be cheaper when needed !

To obtain tax

Policyholders of tempcover.com are allowed to use their certificate of insurance to tax their vehicle. A number of other leading short term insurance providers DO NOT give consent for this. (Subject to DVLA/PostOffice acceptance)

johnsienk

You may want to use a pay-per-mile insurance. Norwich Union does one. You pay for the miles travelled (plus theft/damage cover if you choose one). The downside is you will have to pay the gps box installation fee.

Top Bottom