Problem installing SKS Full Length Chromoplastic Mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Whilst we're on the subject of SKS mudguard bodges try the cotton wool one. Take two bits of cotton wool, about the size of a large bean and insert one in each lug hole.

This helps prevent insanity brought on by the noise of untraceable rattles.

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
Success!

I just happened to find a bracket in my garage without even looking which I was able to cut with my angle grinder and file. Ordered machine screws and thin bolts which arrived today. Heeded Ajax Bay's advice and replaced the hex cap screw with a pan head machine screw and penny washer. Kept the bolt on chainstay bridge hook as it wasn't causing any issues.

Absolutely no rubbing or rattles which I couldn't believe. Took it for a test ride and it was perfect!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg
4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Crankarm

Guru
Success!

I just happened to find a bracket in my garage without even looking which I was able to cut with my angle grinder and file. Ordered machine screws and thin bolts which arrived today. Heeded Ajax Bay's advice and replaced the hex cap screw with a pan head machine screw and penny washer. Kept the bolt on chainstay bridge hook as it wasn't causing any issues.

Absolutely no rubbing or rattles which I couldn't believe. Took it for a test ride and it was perfect!

View attachment 447582

View attachment 447583

View attachment 447584 View attachment 447585
View attachment 447586

View attachment 447587

View attachment 447588

View attachment 447589

You've got that clamp on the wrong way round. It should sit under the bridge so it is hidden.

midlife

Guru
See picture B, the clip holding the mudguard is usually hidden behind the seat stays even if fixed in front of the stay.

rear-fenderIMG_4335.jpg

midlife

Guru
It makes no difference at all aside from the appearance ... I just had it beaten into me at the bike shop where I worked in the 70's lol

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
I decided to change it round as it was starting to bug me. Also I wanted to heed Crankarm's advice about checking the bolt and nut in the normal bridge and the fabricated extension bracket. So I removed it and secured it in my vise and tightened it with a screwdriver and a socket wrench. It's absolutely rock solid.

I also noticed that I had mistakenly installed the Secu-clips on the rear wheel so I installed them correctly with just washers.

2019-01-20-21.jpg

2019-01-20-21.jpg

2019-01-20-21.jpg

Absolutely no rubbing. Going to take it for a very quick ride around the estate to check it.

midlife

Guru
Good job :smile: BITD it was one of my jobs to fit mudguards, had to be just so, cutting of the stays and the angles of the rear stays when you had to bend them (some mudguards had fixed length stays)

Even fitted a few with guards to stop skirts blowing into them which gives my age away a bit lol

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Damn right Bonefish Blues. I can't believe I'm feeling so accomplished having only installed mudguards to my bike!
I made my guard extension mount out of a piece of bow saw blade for the tandem. Necessity being the mother of bodging (actually it's quite a neat job!) and all that. Also a lower mount extension for my daughter's Frog from a piece of aluminium shelf bracket cut to size.

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
You would think that SKS would realise there was a problem and offer an alternative sliding bridge with a longer mounting section. When I asked them they said this:

"I forwarded your mail to our service department so that they can check the matter.

Unfortunately I have to tell you that we can’t offer you a solution.

Thank you for your understanding an d have a nice weekend!"

Top Bottom