Problem with direct mount front delarieur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

claulo45

Regular
Hello hehe. I want to ask a question about compatibility between front d. and frame
I have a Merida bicycle, with a frame that has a direct mount for the front derailleur. The problem is that I want to put a 46/30 double crankset, but I haven't found a direct mount derailleur that allows me to put a crankset beyond 44. Do you know any front derailleur that allows me to do this?
Here's a picture of my frame

Attachments

• 34368.jpg
    34368.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20221227_182951_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20221227_182951_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 6

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome: Do you know the model of the frame? Isn't this for a MTB chainset (rather than a road one that you want to fit)?
This requires a new E-type FD, directly bolted x 2 to the frame.
So I'm going to ask "why do you want to fit a 46-30 chainset?" With an 11t small sprocket the top gear length is surely enough. If you want a gear of more than 108" this is the wrong frame for that kind of riding.
Bikegremlin: "Shimano’s E-2 FDs allow for height and angle adjustment (mounting holes on the FD are cut with a longer vertical opening and are a bit wider than the mounting bolts), while with SRAM’s S3, one needs to pay more attention to the size of the front chainrings that the FD is made for"
DeoreXT-m780/FD-M785-E2 max 44t.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

claulo45

Regular
:welcome: Do you know the model of the frame? Isn't this for a MTB chainset (rather than a road one that you want to fit)?
This requires a new E-type FD, directly bolted x 2 to the frame.
So I'm going to ask "why do you want to fit a 46-30 chainset?" With an 11t small sprocket the top gear length is surely enough. If you want a gear of more than 108" this is the wrong frame for that kind of riding.
Bikegremlin: "Shimano’s E-2 FDs allow for height and angle adjustment (mounting holes on the FD are cut with a longer vertical opening and are a bit wider than the mounting bolts), while with SRAM’s S3, one needs to pay more attention to the size of the front chainrings that the FD is made for"
DeoreXT-m780/FD-M785-E2 max 44t.
O nine disc carbon 26 mtb, but I use it with 700c wheels and its works nice
I want a 46-30, because I feel comfortable in that speed ratio.

Ajax Bay

Guru
From what I read, if the Shimano’s E2 FD doesn't give you the adjustment, you can mount a band-on FD which can be set at the right height for a 46t ring (and ignore the DM threaded holes (I would insert flat top bolts in both of them)).
Good luck, and I hope 'feeling comfortable' is worth the effort and expense.

OP
OP
C

claulo45

Regular
Something like this? Do you think I would be able to put in on my frame? :0

Attachments

• shimano_Ultegra-FD-R8000-Front-Derailleur-Band On.jpg
    shimano_Ultegra-FD-R8000-Front-Derailleur-Band On.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1

Ajax Bay

Guru
Any compact band-on (roughly, the cage profile designed for 50t will cope with 46t) for the diameter of your downtube (eg 31.8mm).
You need to check your shifter will pull the cable: should be OK on this 11sp FD - but that's a road FD and I assume you've got trigger shifters (flat bar).
Maybe could use these: Shimano non-series road flatbar shifters e.g. SL-RS700.
Compatibility chart: https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com?acid=C-455&cid=C-453

Last edited:
Top Bottom