Products with badly chosen names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
When Chevrolet tried to sell the Nova small sedan in S America, no one bought it until they called it a Caribe. No va in Spanish means it doesn't go.

A common one at the supermarket here
1631670414151.png

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Eerrrmmmm...

I think, unsurprisingly, that they are Australian.

rikki

Legendary Member
In the 70's, Jasper Carrot used to go on about an Aussie brand of sticky tape called Durex...could be amusing going into a UK stationery shop asking for a roll^_^. Any Aussies can confirm this?. And apparently, Durex did sponsor a race car but it ended up in the pit stop....with a puncture:laugh:.
Durex is sticky tape (and sometimes a brand of condoms).

I was mocked in an office in London when I said that I had durex and a rubber in my desk drawer.

Rubbers and durex are in the stationery aisle at the supermarket.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
In Glastonbury, there's a bakery called Burns the Bread. In Bristol, there are two motorcycle firms called Piston Broke & Wheel Torque...say them quickly if you missed the joke:okay:.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
In the 70's, Jasper Carrot used to go on about an Aussie brand of sticky tape called Durex...could be amusing going into a UK stationery shop asking for a roll^_^. Any Aussies can confirm this?. And apparently, Durex did sponsor a race car but it ended up in the pit stop....with a puncture:laugh:.
My now retired BiL was working as coach driver in the early 80’s . Once when he had a party of Australians on board , a young lady approached him and asked did he have any Durex , he told me he was surprised until he realised she only wanted sellotape.

Last edited:
Top Bottom