Programme for an attempted 100 miler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
As Lao Tzu once said (before attempting his first 100 miler) - "a journey of a 103 miles begins with a single push on the pedals."
I find it tends to start with me running round the house shouting "Have you seen my cycling jersey? ... No, not that one! ... Found it! ... Have you seen my socks?"

"A journey of 103 miles starts with a load of faffing about" doesn't have the same ring to it.

OP
OP
The Essex Spurs

The Essex Spurs

Thank you for all the comments good or bad.Haven't had time to read them yet but will read them all later and come back to people.
I suppose now I'll have to dust down my beloved Claud Butler Racer (er sorry roadbike) and get that ready for some training.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
My first 100 miler was never planned, I got on my bike one morning to do my regular 28 mile loop and thought I'd stay riding and add on my other 21 mile loop, then another smaller loop, I reached 70+ miles and felt really good so then I did think about cracking 100 miles so carried on with my little loops.
I did have to stop to buy water and a snack and used High 5 tablets which I carry.
100.3 miles in total 15.9 AV speed and I was never more than 15 miles from home!

Where on Earth do you buy used High 5 tablets?

I'll get me coat. Sorry.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If you want a training plan, British Cycling should have something on their site, or Prudential for the Ride London
The Ride London plans will be overkill. RL has the complication/pressure of a minimum required speed to beat the broom wagon which isn't a factor on century day trips. I suspect most Brutish Cycling plans will be aimed at getting to the finish by some time limit to get a medal or other toys before the finish packs up and goes home.

Don't worry about speed. Who cares as long as you can get home? Use all the tricks like freewheeling, pulse and glide and enjoying the views with "what's over that next ridge?" pondering. Even if you have to bail out, there's always another day, which is an option most sportive riders won't take.

As others (including @vickster) say, build up the distances. If 30 miles is your current normal, then I'd suggest doing a 50miles, then two or three 100km with a lunch stop (which is basically only 2x 30 miles on the same day), then at least one 125km with a stop before doing 2x 50miles on the same day with lunch between them... hey presto you've done 100.

vickster

Legendary Member
IIRC they give a weekly plan for training to ride 100 miles which is what the OP is aiming to do. Not everyone is seeking an anti BC hidden agenda :smile:

It doesn't sound like home is the final destination, hence my earlier post about planning to get home afterwards

Last edited:

mjr

IIRC they give a weekly plan for training to ride 100 miles which is what the OP is aiming to do
They (RL) give a choice of three but at least the "higher" two are all about speed and include High Intensity Interval Training which they call Sweet Spots. They're 12 or 16 week plans with three or four rides a week, often long, including timing loops and all that jazz. That's understandable for that event but they are overkill for a relaxed day trip and IMO suck a lot of the fun from the cycling.

If you want to do a distance, focus on the distance. Speed is pretty much irrelevant. If you plod at 9mph, you'll still do 100 miles within a summer's day. I have. Even on a mid September day.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I have introduced a lot of people to there 1st 100 miler, i normally take them to Cambridge, about 50 miles each way, but they can always get the train back if they feel the need, but most people just do it, Take your time, make sure you drink and eat enough, most important make sure your bike is up to it, carry a couple of spare tubes just in case. :okay:

PS. Join a club, so much nicer to do it with company.^_^

mjr

It was just a suggestion :rolleyes:
Yeah I understand. I'm just trying to stop any other pootlers reading this taking a look, having their eyes bulge and deciding an imperial century will be forever beyond them!

Those plans are reasonable but very much to the specifics of those events, which includes speed. I'd struggle to follow even the intermediate one but I've done several 100 mile rides (and a 93... :laugh: ).

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Have you thought about doing it as part of a sportive? I know there are a load of sportive haters in the world but they offer you a lot of things to not worry about such as route, food, drink, (some) mechanical support. Also you then have a fixed date to aim for come hell or high water and if you can find a group riding your pace can work together to get a good result?

vickster

Legendary Member
I personally wouldn't want to do an open road 100 mile sportive, where's the fun in that? And they mostly give gels, energy bars and bananas, those barely count for 'food'. I'd just plan a route, find a ride buddy and pick a couple of possible dates.

That said there are probably still charity places available for RLS100 if you want to go the closed road option and can raise the sponsorship

Audax another option if wanting somethjing 'organised', at least you get cake and bacon sarnies potentially :biggrin:

OP
OP
The Essex Spurs

The Essex Spurs

IIRC they give a weekly plan for training to ride 100 miles which is what the OP is aiming to do. Not everyone is seeking an anti BC hidden agenda :smile:

It doesn't sound like home is the final destination, hence my earlier post about planning to get home afterwards
I have taken that on board Vickster.As I stay up at Walcott next door to Bacton quite a lot I just thought I could give it the big 'un nest time we hire out a chalet.
That said I have just looked and formulated a really nice route which would encompass lots of places I have cycled in my time and as your thread says I am never more than 20 miles away in the loop.

Top Bottom