Programme for an attempted 100 miler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I haven't seen the magazine, only the training plans on the BC website. If they're talking about one-minute intervals at flat-out effort, that's not what is usually understood by 'sweet spot' and does indeed sound more like HIIT.
I am sorry that I cannot offer an online link to the RL version - https://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/training/training-plans/ links to PDFs of the plan pages, but seemingly not the explanatory page 51 they refer to. It says the plans were devised by Andy Cook, which is why I suspect you may be more correct than the magazine author.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I am sorry that I cannot offer an online link to the RL version - https://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/training/training-plans/ links to PDFs of the plan pages, but seemingly not the explanatory page 51 they refer to. It says the plans were devised by Andy Cook, which is why I suspect you may be more correct than the magazine author.

There's probably some information missing. This is from the Intermediate plan - it has a 1.5hrs 'sweet spot' session, but then talks about one minute and five minute sweet spots in the notes:

Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 14.37.28.png

I'm guessing it means high-intensity intervals within a tempo session, which would be a fairly normal training technique.

In any case, it goes to show why you should be careful when following training plans off the internet, rather than something that has been devised for you personally by a coach. And I expect none of this is of any interest to the OP anyway!

Reactions: mjr

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
A few people have mentioned saddle discomfort.

A sore arse is proba ly the one thing that could spoil it for you.

If you are comfortable now after your 30 milers then dont change anything ,saddle or clothing.

On the ride day use chammy cream or similar to grease all the nooks and crannies in your undercarriage.Ideally repeat this during the ride.

You will get roun d if you want to.

mjr

On the ride day use chammy cream or similar to grease all the nooks and crannies in your undercarriage.Ideally repeat this during the ride.
Shouldn't be needed if the saddle fits and if not, adding cream to irritation doesn't seem like a great idea. At least ensure it's an antibacterial one, I guess.

mjr

Hell of a lot of long distance cyclists Audaxers etc swear by sudocrem. I use a bit of Vaseline.
I know many do, but I think it's better to deal with the cause (often a badly fitting saddle or too much thick, rough insulation on one's bum) than apply palliatives, if you can. Building up distances should allow one to identify irritation hotspots without them becoming full blown sores.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Problem is that assuming the width is right the only real test of a saddle is to go a long way on it.
Hopefully the op wont have any problems but if he does then a bit of cream could make the last 30 miles a bit more comfortable.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Hell of a lot of long distance cyclists Audaxers etc swear by sudocrem. I use a bit of Vaseline.

I never use chamois cream or anything else. Did 410km last weekend and 375km the weekend before and remain unscathed.

Creams can form a barrier that doesn't let the skin breathe, which isn't a great idea on very long rides.

I usually carry a change of shorts on rides over 300km, which definitely helps keep it all feeling a bit fresher down there.

OP
OP
The Essex Spurs

The Essex Spurs

Well the amount of replies is staggering but a bit bewildering as so much info to digest!!!!
What about eating the night before? Any advantages to eating certain foods or at a certain time????

vickster

Legendary Member
Well the amount of replies is staggering but a bit bewildering as so much info to digest!!!!
What about eating the night before? Any advantages to eating certain foods or at a certain time????
Just eat normally. Have porridge for breakfast, or whatever you would normally have. Take some flapjack and jelly babies. And cash for lunch and cake stops. And a couple of bottles of water / squash on the bike
You can stop, rest and eat when and where you feel the need :smile:
The thing to plan is how you get back if the untoward happens bonk, mechanical, take a tumble)
Don't overthink it, you're not riding the TdF on the moon.

Top Bottom