Programme for an attempted 100 miler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
The Essex Spurs

The Essex Spurs

Just eat normally. Have porridge for breakfast, or whatever you would normally have. Take some flapjack and jelly babies. And cash for lunch and cake stops. And a couple of bottles of water / squash on the bike
You can stop, rest and eat when and where you feel the need :smile:
The thing to plan is how you get back if the untoward happens bonk, mechanical, take a tumble)
Don't overthink it, you're not riding the TdF on the moon.
I'm not overthinking believe me but am intrigued by it all.
given the food that you recommend I could probably get my two youngest to come with me!!!

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm not overthinking believe me but am intrigued by it all.
given the food that you recommend I could probably get my two youngest to come with me!!!
Go for it, it'll be easier with company :smile:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I've been through a similar process to the OP quite recently. At the beginning of 2015 I'd done very little cycling for a decade or more and was struggling to do much more than 20 miles at a time.

Having discovered I could actually still enjoy it, I used the spur of a 100km Audax to get me up to doing 50+ mile rides again. That was successful, but my immediate impression after the Audax was that 100 miles wasn't going to happen.

With 50 miles having become normal again, the step up to 100 was much more evolutionary. At the end of a 56 mile ride I felt, quite unexpectedly, that I could've gone on for a quite long time, and a few days later I did the 100.

So there are two radically different approaches, which might very loosely be described as programmes, both of which worked for me. The conclusion I'd draw is that if you want to get there, any rational approach will probably be OK.

OP
OP
The Essex Spurs

The Essex Spurs

I've been through a similar process to the OP quite recently. At the beginning of 2015 I'd done very little cycling for a decade or more and was struggling to do much more than 20 miles at a time.

Having discovered I could actually still enjoy it, I used the spur of a 100km Audax to get me up to doing 50+ mile rides again. That was successful, but my immediate impression after the Audax was that 100 miles wasn't going to happen.

With 50 miles having become normal again, the step up to 100 was much more evolutionary. At the end of a 56 mile ride I felt, quite unexpectedly, that I could've gone on for a quite long time, and a few days later I did the 100.

So there are two radically different approaches, which might very loosely be described as programmes, both of which worked for me. The conclusion I'd draw is that if you want to get there, any rational approach will probably be OK.
That sounds feasible and I will do it but can't think rationally right now because Spurs are playing Dale Farm tonight and main course of interest.
Tomorrow(one sore head later) I would like to leave a more comfortable comment.COYS

grellboy

Über Member
Me and my mate did 100 miles on Sunday. It was my third and his first. He had only ever ridden 50 before and it was horrendously windy but he managed it with quite a respectable time too. Training and miles under your belt help obviously, but so too do determination and willpower.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Some real world feedback...102 miles done today

Big bowl of porridge an hour before I started and a large coffee and a large tea

Couple of litre bottles of weak squash

Ate a few bits of flapjack after a couple of hours

Three hours in (half way) had a proper stop. A giant sausage roll, two Welsh oatcakes, large coffee and a bottle of diet coke

That did me to the end (six hours) when I had fish and chips and a diet. coke

4 pack of beer as recovery drink

That was decent pace...if I'd been going more leisurely the I would have had another proper stop

Top Bottom