Project Rourke Rebuild

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
My trusty old custom-made Rourke frame has just come back from Brian Rourkes after its third respray, in 18 years. But as well as the respray Jason has also repaired the small dent in the top tube, replaced all the frame ferrules for the newer split type, removed the pump pip, removed the chain pip and removed the tiny cable tubes under the bottom bracket in favour of the black plastic cable guide. Finally the old down tube lugs were removed and replaced with small in line adjusters.

But what started off as a relatively cheap refurb (£340) has very quickly escalated into quite a costly exercise :angry:

On stripping the forks out from the frame, it was noticed that there was a 50mm crack in the carbon steerer. :cry: That added £250 to the bill. I then decided that while it was stripped down it would make sense to replace the headset, Hope headset added to the build, another £95

The silver coloured Shimano long reach calipers just wouldn't look right on what will be a red and black colour combination, so a pair of black TRP RG957 calipers have been ordered, add £130

The old mudguards have seen plenty of action, so a new pair of SKS ones added, so £34 on the bill.

Jagwire Road Elite Sealed cable kits for brakes and gears, £70

Just got to wait another couple of weeks for the paint to "gas of" then it will be taken to Chris @ Cyclewrap to have it wrapped in clear gloss PPF.

Then I guess I can set about building it back up. Needless to say, I am so looking forward to getting it back on the road as its a truly beautiful bike to ride!

Rourke2 (1).jpg

Rourke2 (2).jpg

Rourke3.jpg

Rourke4.jpg

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My trusty old custom-made Rourke frame has just come back from Brian Rourkes after its third respray, in 18 years. But as well as the respray Jason has also repaired the small dent in the top tube, replaced all the frame ferrules for the newer split type, removed the pump pip, removed the chain pip and removed the tiny cable tubes under the bottom bracket in favour of the black plastic cable guide. Finally the old down tube lugs were removed and replaced with small in line adjusters.

But what started off as a relatively cheap refurb (£340) has very quickly escalated into quite a costly exercise :angry:

On stripping the forks out from the frame, it was noticed that there was a 50mm crack in the carbon steerer. :cry: That added £250 to the bill. I then decided that while it was stripped down it would make sense to replace the headset, Hope headset added to the build, another £95

The silver coloured Shimano long reach calipers just wouldn't look right on what will be a red and black colour combination, so a pair of black TRP RG957 calipers have been ordered, add £130

The old mudguards have seen plenty of action, so a new pair of SKS ones added, so £34 on the bill.

Jagwire Road Elite Sealed cable kits for brakes and gears, £70

Just got to wait another couple of weeks for the paint to "gas of" then it will be taken to Chris @ Cyclewrap to have it wrapped in clear gloss PPF.

Then I guess I can set about building it back up. Needless to say, I am so looking forward to getting it back on the road as its a truly beautiful bike to ride!

View attachment 679021

View attachment 679022

View attachment 679023

View attachment 679024

Rourke refurb - Because you're worth it!

Am very happy with mine, it's transformed since replacing the 853 fork with a carbon one though!
Mines based on the winter training frame with 28c and full guards and is basically the does-it-all machine I wanted - and fits perfectly.
Enjoy!

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Picked the frame up from Cyclewrap on Tuesday after getting it wrapped in gloss vinyl to give it that extra layer of protection. All finished now apart from adding the bar tape, which I' ll do after I've done a few more miles and happy with everything.

Managed to reuse some of the old parts pre the refurb, apart from headset, forks, stem, handlebars, seatpost, wheels, brakes, bottom bracket, mudguards and bottle cages....:laugh:
20230330_142115.jpg

20230330_142125.jpg

20230330_142134.jpg

20230330_142149.jpg

20230330_142141.jpg

Rourke - March 2023.jpg

20230330_142108.jpg

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Picked the frame up from Cyclewrap on Tuesday after getting it wrapped in gloss vinyl to give it that extra layer of protection. All finished now apart from adding the bar tape, which I' ll do after I've done a few more miles and happy with everything.

Managed to reuse some of the old parts pre the refurb, apart from headset, forks, stem, handlebars, seatpost, wheels, brakes, bottom bracket, mudguards and bottle cages....:laugh:
View attachment 683671

View attachment 683672

View attachment 683673

View attachment 683674

View attachment 683675

View attachment 683676

View attachment 683670

Stunning my friend. Truly ! Enjoy that 🤩

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Is there any reason why you haven't cut down the forks to the correct height?

I assume that you referring to the steerer tube projecting above the stem?

I personally don't like to have the steerer tube flush with the top of the stem. I always like to allow at least 5mm above the stem so the end of the steerer is further away from the clamping of the stem bolts.

You also have to factor in for the thickness of the compression bung and also the flare of the top cap.

So if you wanted a flush fit top cap, you would need to cut the steerer tube at least 10mm lower than the upper level of the stem, that's not a good idea IMHO.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Nice home much does it weigh 9kg??

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Nice home much does it weigh 9kg??

On or around that, considering it's steel it's remarkably light and exceptionally agile. But the ride quality is simply undescribeable, no words can ever describe the ride quality of a good steel frame, but when you know, trust me, you know.....👌

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
On or around that, considering it's steel it's remarkably light and exceptionally agile. But the ride quality is simply undescribeable, no words can ever describe the ride quality of a good steel frame, but when you know, trust me, you know.....👌

I do, two old early 90's road bikes coming in at 9kg - they are lovely to ride. Not as light as modern carbon frames - I've picked up @Hacienda71 carbon do it all every day bike, and it's much much lighter. Quality steel frames have a magic carpet type ride though.

Caperider

Well done and a beautiful shade of red.nice restomod! Enjoy it. Summers coming .I like the tool box water bottle, that's neat !

Top Bottom