"Proper cyclists"; give it a rest!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Your bike.
Wear what you like when riding it.
Nothing else matters.

Anyone who judges you has issues of their own to address.

sidevalve

Über Member
I thought it was quite a good rant. Must admit I like the bit about 'weekend warriors' - we seem to get a good few of those around here, full kit - big chip on shoulder [maybe drive german cars during the week] and serious attitude problem. Bah [it's that damn sheep again !!!] Just the modern disease - the 'stuff you I'm right' brigade and there's just as many on 2 wheels as on 4

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yeah but it's not just when you are riding, it's when you are getting on/off the bike, putting your foot down, pushing the bike around, parking it and trying to lock it to something.
I get on/off, push around, park and lock from the non-drive side as much as possible IMO. As for putting my foot down - I either use the left foot or take care to lean the bike well - and when stopped for any length of time, I climb forwards off the saddle.

But I expect you know all that and it's just the practice which is difficult. I think I had a few tellings-off for oiling my clothes when I first had an unguarded bike as a child, so I soon got into better habits before I was made to do my own washing! :laugh:

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
After reading this I've decided I'm not a proper cyclist, because I don't care how other people cycle (I do hope that they use lights at night though).
Doesn't matter if you're fast or slow, togged up or dressed down. You're still lapping the fatties on the sofa.
My point is this though; how many of those fatties on the sofa would be more inclined to get themselves onto a bike if they didn't feel under pressure to conform to some sort of image? The image being that of a lycra wearing athlete with all the gear. Don't get me wrong; I am not criticising them for wearing all the proper (?) kit if that is what floats their boat. What I am criticising is those that look down their noses at us mortals, and feel that it is ok for them to criticise US for not conforming to their standards.
If I and others as semi enthusiastic cyclists feel that pressure, then I can sympathise with those who choose the sofa!

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
I do enjoy riding my road bike.
I wear trackie bottoms but proper base, jersey, jacket and shoes. And helmet.
It always takes ages faffing about to get ready though.
Recently got my Pashley and just wear jeans (stretch ones :blush:), hiking boots. I do usually wear cycling jersey and jacket as they are quite comfy. Jeans on the road bike would be torturous but on the Brooks saddle it's no problem. :smile: :bicycle:
I don't care, (would probably look scary in full Lycra anyway :eek:)

I get on/off, push around, park and lock from the non-drive side as much as possible IMO. As for putting my foot down - I either use the left foot or take care to lean the bike well - and when stopped for any length of time, I climb forwards off the saddle.

But I expect you know all that and it's just the practice which is difficult. I think I had a few tellings-off for oiling my clothes when I first had an unguarded bike as a child, so I soon got into better habits before I was made to do my own washing! :laugh:
I'm left handed/footed so do everything the opposite way to the majority of cyclists (get on bike from right side, put my right foot down when stopped, easier to push from right side etc)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Question - how many miles did you do on which bikes? What sort of conditions / routes do you ride ?

- I wear cycling kit as I don't want my regular clothes to get sweaty, worn, dirty and oily (I ride a road bike always)
- I am interested in speed
- I also don't give a **** how I look.

I get totally fed up putting the stuff on, taking it off. I ride three times a day! But i'm used to it.

Cycling is about the activity itself, and not all the accessories and kit that you can embellish upon it.
If you did 3500m in your regular togs, fair play to you, that's pretty impressive.
I've been tending towards wearing slightly more gear towards cycling in the last few years but I've plenty of years behind me when I've done 3000 miles for the year wearing what ever I want from my wardrobe..including jeans and in fact I'm in jeans today. Mind you when I buy my jeans and other trousers I usually try out sort of cycling positions in the changing room, and I won't even have got to the changing room with them if I've tried a quick stretch test and they feel really stiff.

I wouldn't presume to judge people based on what they wore on a bike nor what sort of bike they were riding. A while back I was riding along a straight road when I saw I bloke in the semi-distance riding a bike wearing what appeared to be a tweed jacket and some kind of brimmed hat. I gave chase only to find half a mile later that I hadn't gone past him even though I was close enough to see that he was an elderly guy on an electric bike. We had a laugh about the differences in our appearances and the bikes we were riding when I finally got up to him.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm left handed/footed so do everything the opposite way to the majority of cyclists (get on bike from right side, put my right foot down when stopped, easier to push from right side etc)
Ah yes, that would complicate things. I spent a while doing stuff left-handed after breaking my right arm and the world really isn't kind!

The main use for helmets is to shut up the A&E staff asking if you've whacked your head.
Using your helmet to shut A&E staff up? @Fnaar

Top Bottom