"Proper cyclists"; give it a rest!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
There are cyclist and there are thugs on bikes, both ride bikes but only one I consider calling a cyclist.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
The main use for helmets is to shut up the A&E staff asking if you've whacked your head. Lying on the road with a broken back - "how's your head" - "it's not my head it's my back !!! - Look there is my helmet, not a mark on it".

I had the same with my bad knee injury a few years back when I got to hospital.

Having had to be helped to walk in by wife and walking stick.

Me: I've been knocked off my bike by a left turning car and hurt my knee.

Dr: were you wearing a helmet?

Me: not on my knee, no.

Dr: ah, yes and your head is OK?

Me: yes it had a helmet on it, (for the Dr's benefit ,not my opinion of their efficacy) it's my knee that is the problem, I can't move it properly and it's gone a funny colour.

Dr: OK let's look at your knee then.

classic33

Leg End Member
Question - how many miles did you do on which bikes? What sort of conditions / routes do you ride ?

- I wear cycling kit as I don't want my regular clothes to get sweaty, worn, dirty and oily (I ride a road bike always)
- I am interested in speed
- I also don't give a **** how I look.

I get totally fed up putting the stuff on, taking it off. I ride three times a day! But i'm used to it.

Cycling is about the activity itself, and not all the accessories and kit that you can embellish upon it.
If you did 3500m in your regular togs, fair play to you, that's pretty impressive.
Used to do 250 miles a weekend in the same type of clothes I'd be wearing at work(minus PPE required at work), in all weathers.
No big deal, adjust the riding to suit.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I don't wear a helmet
I think you're the second I've spotted whose avatar does but they don't?

Very observant! You might also have noticed one or two other details about my avatar that are not quite an accurate portrayal of myself.

Top Bottom