"Proper cyclists"; give it a rest!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lonestar

Veteran
Amazing fact...last year...A cycle courier shook his head when he saw the (sorun) wheels on my fixie.I don't think it was in approval,either.:cry:

http://www.bikeforums.net/singlespe...wheels-like-aerospoke-4-5-6-spoke-wheels.html

But then I found this,third post down.:blush:

Firestorm

Veteran
When I were a lad, there were plenty of people who rode bikes, they were just that , people who rode bikes. There were not many cyclists though, that term was reserved for those who raced, or belonged to clubs.
Mind you that was when Runners were competitive athletes too
Anyone who did anything remotely physical as a pastime was affiliated in one way or another.

Hip Priest

Veteran
[QUOTE 4190556, member: 9609"]Yes you did. and I couldn't care less about the second bit.[/QUOTE]

No I didn't. Brush up on your comprehension skills.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There's a lot of assuming going on here. @Brandane assumes that people riding different bikes to his, and wearing different kit, are looking down their noses at him. @User9609 assumes that the riders he lies in wait for so that he can scalp them are impressed by his display of machismo. Of course no one thinks to ask, as they may find out that these are just people out for a ride, blissfully unaware that they are Doing It All Wrong.

I've taken my old friction shift steelie on club rides and it has attracted interest and admiration, alongside the latest Di2 carbon wonder which I in turn admired.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Ha! Those "proper cyclists" are nothing of the sort. What do they do during weekdays? At most they'll commute 1 or 2 hours a day then don TdF-esque attire on the weekend.

A "proper" cyclist would be on the bike as their main job: a professional racing cyclist, a bike messenger (respect to them BTW), heck even the Deliveroo bunch are proper cyclists*.

Wear what you want, ride what you want. Tell these proper cyclists next time you meet them: "if your dayjob isn't cycling, then you're not a proper one, but thanks for the advice".

* maybe.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
There's a lot of assuming going on here. @Brandane assumes that people riding different bikes to his, and wearing different kit, are looking down their noses at him.

Actually, in my OP I did say it was my cycling buddies, not just random passers by. So I can safely say that I am not assuming anything, it has been stated at café stops and at meeting places.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Actually, in my OP I did say it was my cycling buddies, not just random passers by. So I can safely say that I am not assuming anything, it has been stated at café stops and at meeting places.
Fair enough. In which case, just wave your Metric Century A Month star at them. They will bow down in respect.

I hope ;)

Top Bottom