pros and cons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zigzag

Veteran
in my case there are 25 traffic lights in five miles and sections of the narrow road with stationary traffic and no space in the middle. with geared bike i can get a head start when the light turns green and in stationary traffic i can lean the bike to the left and coast between a curb and buses (i'd need to get onto a busy pavement and walk with the fixed bike alongside).

JDP

Andiamo
It is eerily quiet. Spooky, even.

This.
There are plenty of other things I like about fixed but that sense of quiet combined with the constant feel of movement makes fixed riding special.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've ridden Audax SR series on both gears and fixed. I find I'm a bit slower on fixed for the longer distances. I tend to use the fixed for everyday riding and to get fit.

Steve-W

I bought a singlesped mtb which I am now re-building, I rode it a few times before stripping it down and found it great fun, simple, uncluttered, back to the way bike riding was when I was kid, its has a freewheel so no issues for me coasting, traffic etc, I used it for short local jump on jump off trips and it was great, track skewers and fixed seat clamp mean no worries about locking wheels & removing seatposts etc when quickly locking up when in a shop etc.
Cheers
Steve

Powered by Porridge

but what is it about ? having just one speed with no freewheel

i dont know of one i can borrow but im intrigued enough to buy one or build one (got an old peugeot doin nothin).

i see its a love it or hate it concept. I want one but i cant see the advantages

I've has a fixed bike for about six years, I also have a couple of bikes with gears. I sometimes ride fixed, I sometimes ride geared. I just like riding bikes. Fortunately I live in Warrington, so if you're still interested, come round, have a cup of tea, and a go on the bike. It's a Surly Steamroller and is gorgeous. PM me to arrange something.

Reactions: 4F

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I sometimes ride fixed and I sometimes ride geared. I enjoy both and both have advantages over the other one depending on the type of ride / weather conditions etc.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
I see 4F says:
No helmet no hair, 365 days a year

S/He must be tired riding all the time........:bicycle:

gb901

im intrigued by the single fixed wheel concept but i m not aware of the advantages over a geared bike other than ... simplicity, ie less to go wrong, and lighter weight. To me a bike with gears would be far better, yet im hearing that most people who ride fixed swear by em.

why would i want a single speed fixed bike????

sorry if this question has been asked before but im finding myself wanting one
no thanks, notfor me - far too hard and tiribng!

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
One theory is that with gears you are always subconciously thinking about when to change gear, & with a fixed/SS you aren't, & therefore, there is less mental fatigue when riding fixed/SS.

Free Your Mind ....... :bicycle:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
One theory is that with gears you are always subconciously thinking about when to change gear, & with a fixed/SS you aren't, & therefore, there is less mental fatigue when riding fixed/SS.

Free Your Mind ....... :bicycle:

Less mental fatigue, lmao! Scraping the barrell here!

no thanks, notfor me - far too hard and tiribng!

Great to see all of your posts display a consistent degree of ignorance! Excellent work!

steve broughton

Loving my fixie/ss though reading this one thing does puzzle me the "they are easier to maintain" comments yes granted but who cannot service or maintain a dérailleur geared bike? I have sat crying with a much loved sturmey archer 3 speed hub in what felt like a million pieces but a normal modern geared bike is simple?

Top Bottom