pros and cons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldspice

Do fixed cyclist have problems claiming from insurance companys as the bikes do not have breaks?

D

Deleted member 1258

Do fixed cyclist have problems claiming from insurance companys as the bikes do not have breaks?

My fixed has brakes front and rear.

Oldspice

I never knew they came with breaks:bravo:good to know. Would the bikes without breaks still be coverd by insurance?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I never knew they came with breaks:bravo:good to know. Would the bikes without breaks still be coverd by insurance?
Fixed wheel bikes without BRAKES (sorry, not breaks) are for track use only.
All bikes must have 2 brakes to be road legal, with a FIXED wheel then the fixed wheel counts as a brake and thus you only need a front brake on the bike. A single speed bike needs 2 brakes to be fitted as there is no braking through the pedals.

So if you don't have 2 means of braking then your insurance compay won't be too happy.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
in my case there are 25 traffic lights in five miles and sections of the narrow road with stationary traffic and no space in the middle. with geared bike i can get a head start when the light turns green and in stationary traffic i can lean the bike to the left and coast between a curb and buses (i'd need to get onto a busy pavement and walk with the fixed bike alongside).
I rode fixed in central London for many years and found it my weapon of choice for urban riding. I'd argue that you shouldn't be going up the inside of buses anyhow, I would sit within the traffic like a car and wait there, you'll have all the time you need to get going. If you're cool enough of course then you can track stand between vehicles for a quicker getaway :becool: ;)

I rode fixed for many years as my only bike over all terrains, it soon becomes second nature .... geared bikes then feel somehow sluggish, noisy, overly complex and ugly.
Single speed seems the worst of all worlds as it offers none of the pedalling efficiency, though they're simple and easy I guess.

Oldspice

I rode fixed in central London for many years and found it my weapon of choice for urban riding. I'd argue that you shouldn't be going up the inside of buses anyhow, I would sit within the traffic like a car and wait there, you'll have all the time you need to get going. If you're cool enough of course then you can track stand between vehicles for a quicker getaway :becool: ;)

I rode fixed for many years as my only bike over all terrains, it soon becomes second nature .... geared bikes then feel somehow sluggish, noisy, overly complex and ugly.
Single speed seems the worst of all worlds as it offers none of the pedalling efficiency, though they're simple and easy I guess.

Thank you for the information and for pointing out my spelling mistake. :hugs:

zigzag

Veteran

i would say that ss bikes have the best of both worlds - efficiency of fixed and ability to descend like a falcon, haha

Top Bottom