pros and cons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
oilyormo

oilyormo

gettin warmer??
question ive just thought of. with a fixed gear do the pedals not catch the ground when cornering??

rb58

Enigma
Purpose built fixed gear bike will have a higher bottom bracket for this reason. Also I swapped the 175 cranks that came as stock on mine for 165s. Both these lessen the chance of pedal strike.

This might sound unlikely, and I can't really explain it, but I'm faster on my 15 mile London commute on my fixed than I am with gears.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
question ive just thought of. with a fixed gear do the pedals not catch the ground when cornering??

Unlikely if you are running appropriate length cranks and if the frame has been designed well (i.e. a higher bottom bracket). I have tipped my fixed over to see how far you would have to lean to get pedal strike and you would have to lean over a hell of a way!

Kookas

Über Member
If you only want to build strength and fitness, ride a cheap MTB. I swear, after years of MTB commuting I could probably get a speeding ticket if you gave me a road bike.

A fixie's key advantage is the simplicity of it. Maintaining my bike is perhaps the least fun part of the whole thing.

Thing is, wouldn't a fixie have a lower top speed? At a certain point, your legs actually cannot go any faster, but without higher gears you'd probably find you're only doing about 30mph (a geared bike with large gears could go a lot faster).

Unlikely if you are running appropriate length cranks and if the frame has been designed well (i.e. a higher bottom bracket). I have tipped my fixed over to see how far you would have to lean to get pedal strike and you would have to lean over a hell of a way!
Exactly so, I have 175 cranks on mine as I run a fairly big gear so a bit easier to climb with, I also tipped the bike to see how far I would have to lean to get pedal strike and as Rob3rt says it's a long way. I've done over 32,000 miles on my fixed and never grounded yet and I'm not exactly known for being a careful cyclist, though I would dispute this :smile:.
What's to like about fixed? The answer is too big, easier to ask what's not to like............nothing.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Purpose built fixed gear bike will have a higher bottom bracket for this reason. Also I swapped the 175 cranks that came as stock on mine for 165s. Both these lessen the chance of pedal strike.

This might sound unlikely, and I can't really explain it, but I'm faster on my 15 mile London commute on my fixed than I am with gears.
I find, day-to-day, I'm generally a bit slower on fixed but if I put my game face on, as I tend to do a couple of times a week, my pb on fixed is minutes faster than the pb I can get with gears.

I've checked how far my fixed will tip over before pedal (well, actually foot) strike occurs. It's not a track frame, but I will never be leaning that far over in any bend at all - not even on my road bike.

I have experienced pedal strike when filtering beside stationary vehicles, forgetting that the cranks turn. The end of the left crank made sparks off the kerb. I stayed aboard, but learned an important lesson.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
You're not trying hard enough. I've grounded a pedal once or twice with hop and a skip. What worries me is bending the crank or the pedal spindle.

Top Bottom