pros and cons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
that's if you pedal in squares, but if in circles - no difference :becool:
.... even if you pedal good circles I reckon that fixed is more effective ....:wacko:

zigzag

Veteran
no flywheel effect no matter what shapes you pedal in.

i would have thought so, but in reality this flywheel effect is barely noticeable (and this "free" energy must come from somewhere - legs?..). on a big descent however the advantage of freewheel is very clear.

i'd be interested to do some tests with fixed gear powertap hub, both fixed and freewheel, to come to proper conclusions

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
i would have thought so, but in reality this flywheel effect is barely noticeable (and this "free" energy must come from somewhere - legs?..). on a big descent however the advantage of freewheel is very clear.

i'd be interested to do some tests with fixed gear powertap hub, both fixed and freewheel, to come to proper conclusions
Let us know what you find. Interestingly I think you'll find Time Trialers on fixed but never (as far as I know) Single speed. There must be a reason for that.

D

Deleted member 1258

I rode fixed in central London for many years and found it my weapon of choice for urban riding. I'd argue that you shouldn't be going up the inside of buses anyhow, I would sit within the traffic like a car and wait there, you'll have all the time you need to get going. If you're cool enough of course then you can track stand between vehicles for a quicker getaway :becool: ;)

I rode fixed for many years as my only bike over all terrains, it soon becomes second nature .... geared bikes then feel somehow sluggish, noisy, overly complex and ugly.
Single speed seems the worst of all worlds as it offers none of the pedalling efficiency, though they're simple and easy I guess.

Fixed is my weapon of choice for commuting as well and is all I ride in winter, the geared bike goes away when the clocks change and doesn't come out until the spring

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Let us know what you find. Interestingly I think you'll find Time Trialers on fixed but never (as far as I know) Single speed. There must be a reason for that.
You do occasionally find a single freewheel on 'medium gear' TT's; these for those that don't know, must be riding a gear of no more than 72".
Fixed can be any ratio in a normal 'trial; the 'triallers on these just like riding fixed. :smile:
(Been there, done that! :smile:)

tyred

Legendary Member

From old books (60+ y.o.) I've read, it does seem as if freewheel was recommended for 50 or 100 mile time trials with fixed being used for shorter distances.

musa

Über Member
fixed is cool..you can lookcool leg braking with power hurling roadies beside you with your bike lock tucked in your belt strap at your side/back

generally slower on fixed than my gears but can still scalp some

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
another pro; on really cold mornings you can wear thick gloves, or several pairs as layers. There are no controls other than a brake lever you need to operate.

Top Bottom