Protein Shakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
My sister has recently introduced my slim 13 year old daughter to them as a replacement for actual cereal in the mornings.
I'm not OK with this.
As far as my old fuddy duddy mind is concerned, these things are for people wanting to lose weight and at 13, she's at an impressionable age.
It took me ages to get her eating breakfast before school when I won custody of her because her mum let her get away with skipping breakfast when she had her.
They might be all fine and dandy for adults on the rounder side, but are they any good for a 13 year old?

midlife

Guru
Do you mean something like "Ensure"?

Shaun

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Generally speaking protein shakes aren't for those wishing to lose weight and they aren't quite a meal replacement either. But may well be better than the cereal..

Your sister needs to leave the parenting to you

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Yes/No, maybe. Is it a specific 'diet shake' or a breakfast replacement? Yes, real food would be much better, even just a glass of milk probably. But getting children especially girls to eat something decent for breakfast is hard. Listen to the news today about kids giving-up dairy and not getting enough calcium for bones....
I think you have to see it in the context of her overall diet and lifestyle. If it get's her fueled at the start of the day then it's better than nothing or some cheap empty junk bought in the corner-shop en-route to school.
Having a daughter with eating/food issues (she is now a final year Nutrition student!!) it's a bloody complex minefield of a problem. Keep a quiet eye on the rest of her eating habits and try to keep it in context with her general health. For girls it's very hard being 13 these days.

OP
OP
Vantage

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
What's her rationale for this?
Shannon (daughter) isn't what you might call "a breakfast person". She's previously just skipped it and gone school on an empty stomach. The excuse "I don't have time" has come up before. So I started waking her 10 mins earlier :smile:
I think she and her auntie have had talks about it or Shannon has said no to brekky while staying over so genius (she pays road tax dontcha know?)busy body that she is, introduced her tothis space cadet shake stuff.

OP
OP
Vantage

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Horrible nasty vile stuff, then again if her usual cereal is marketed with a "theyrreeee greatttttt" catchphrase it's probably preferable
It's usually rice krispies or cheerios but she currently sat stuffing her face with porridge ^_^

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The one sitting in the cupboard at the minute is "Forever Lite Ultra".
There's a reassuring name :scratch:
https://www.dietspotlight.com/forever-lite-ultra-review/

Perfunctory 'review', a fortified meal-replacer. However, seems to contain some nutrition and if she takes it with milk, then at least the milk is doing some good. As mentioned elsewhere, not porridge standard maybe but better than Cherios, Rice Crispies, Cocoa pops etc.
So, better than nothing. Certainly don't diss it if she's taking something with milk in the morning. Better than nothing. :-/

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
What cereal gives that the shake probably does not is fibre. Not sure of the trade off between sugar-stuffed cereal with fibre or sugarless (if so!) shake with no fibre. Best bet would be something like muesli with milk (or the porridge!). If she doesn't like crunchy muesli, I often soak mine with a bit of fruit juice.

But whether this matters or not depends a great deal on what she eats for the rest of the day.

si_c

Guru
I think if you make sure the rest of her diet is fine there's nothing to worry about. Better something than nothing, you could always refuse to buy more on the basis there is breakfast cereal or porridge instead. It's not cheap stuff usually so that would likely put an end to it.

I used to skip breakfast some (most) days (got up late) and had crisps or chocolate instead from the shop. I reckon it's probably better than that anyway.

itchybeard

Protein shakes can have high sugar too.
It can make her heavier if drinks too much and not do anything with it...
If she does exercise, even at 13 its fine I feel, perhaps goof for bones and repairs.

Top Bottom