Protocol on cycle paths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G-Zero

Über Member
I appreciate that there is probably nothing written in legislation, but I have a query about a shared use cycle path that I use.... and it isn't about pedestrians for a change.

Is there a general rule of thumb that says we should ride on the left, the same as if we were using a road. I'm not referring to when the path is devoid of cyclists, but the busy periods.

The only reason that I ask is that the path that I use is fairly wide and caters for cycling in both directions.
It can get fairly busy with cyclists at certain times of the day and virtually every single one of us move to our left when we see another cycling heading towards us.

At the numerous points where the path crosses junctions and entrances etc, there are painted white "give way" markings on the path, advising cyclists to give way, but these are always on the left half of the path, supporting the 'ride on the left' theory.

I know that some cyclists may never have driven and find this concept alien, but they are out there, as two of them over the past three weeks have been very close to me by the time they wake up.

Unless of course they are out get me !! :cycle: :boxing:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Drive on the left, cycle on the left, walk on the left..

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Down corridors perhaps ... but on pavements ... there it is a ever changing flow where different people may be moving in different directions and definitely at different speeds. Generally pedestrians manage it without major collisions every day. I certainly never think to keep to the left, and I'm usually subconsciously assessing where the gaps are opening up to move into.

Freddyflintstone

From my experience on Canal towpaths
There is still signs still on every bridge I have rode a bike under stating "Cycling Not allowed"
Another story!
However
Nobody likes to pass next to the canal. So its a "gun ho" to travel next to the bushes.
Can't blame them really (bit cold for swimmimg LOL)

the_mikey

Legendary Member
On cycle paths I aim to cycle on the left, sometimes however I end up on the right, like in this video where I take refuge behind some pedestrians to give way to some oncoming cyclists..

Top Bottom