Proud of the old fella.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Does he have a smart phone?

Probably the simplest by far would be the Strava app on an android phone. I run it on my Moto e5 and it works like a dream.
Some people complain about lack of accuracy on the app but I haven't found this to be the case. Seems to match my wired Cateye wheel sensor computers very closely and records distance more accurately than my Garmin Edge which nearly always under reports the distance covered.
Very easy to use.

Reactions: C R

G3CWI

Veteran
Well done your Dad.
When the time comes I will not hesitate to get one.
I figured that from now on I will be wearing out. Rather than wait until I cannot actually cycle to the level that I want to, I have swapped to ebikes in the hope that my legs and other parts will last longer without medical intervention.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Oops, just seen your comments re: Strava on your other thread.
You don't have to tell him about segments!

Still think the phone option is simplest. No faffing about remembering to charge an extra device, means of communication if anything goes wrong and simply start the app then slip it into a pocket or rucksack. No handlebar mount required and no on-bar display urging you to go further and faster. Just press go and enjoy the ride :okay:

OP
OP
PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Just a little update...

Mission 1 - Should you choose to accept it... Go to the pub! He has been doing his regular loop of 4 miles for a few weeks, today, we embraced the spirit of adventure and pushed a little further and Im glad to say we made it to the pub. It was 8.30am so we didnt go in for one, but its good to know he can make it to the pub (To be fair, he has never had a problem doing this... getting home however...).

View: https://youtu.be/dPXV0Tvd81k

The pub in question is the Anchor just over to the right, we took the left and went the long way round the new Jaguar engine plant, totalling a nice 6.5 miles. Glad to see he looked well and breathing "enthusiastically" but not killing himself. He also reports a drop off in the back pain he has had, and his knees feel better, in fact, his knee supports have become loser - possibly due to losing a little podge but he feels they are less swollen too. My biggest fear was the cycling would make his knees worse, happy to report this does not seem the case.

I have a week off work in September, hoping to get up to double figures one day using the lure of a McMuffin half way. I really am chuffed with how well he is doing, and that he really enjoys getting out - wish I had got him this years ago.

Top Bottom