Prudential Ride 100, what happen if i can't raise a minimum of £500.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
kiwifruit

kiwifruit

Über Member
@kiwifruit - which charity are you riding / fundraising on behalf of? And did you pay a fee to get a charity place?

ETA: Interestingly, after reviewing the event web pages for 10 or so charities, not one of them mentions any punitive measure if you fail to raise the pledged minimum. Lots of encouragement and support to do so, but nothing that says "this" will happen. Perhaps they just don't offer you a place in future if you don't come up with the goods.
Hi Shaun, I did pay £20 fee to enter the ride and the charity is Prostate Cancer UK. I have also a Just Giving account to raise donation as well.

Drago

Legendary Member
Interesting fact - treating injuries caused during sporting charity events, costs the NHS more than the money raised for the charities.

In essense you - not you personally - are dipping into the NHS' coffers and giving that to charity.

The big picture is rarely acknowledged or spoken of, but its there nevertheless. Find some other way of helping a charity, don't perpetuate this situation where the NHS suffers financially so charities can make a few quid.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Interesting fact - treating injuries caused during sporting charity events, costs the NHS more than the money raised for the charities.

In essense you - not you personally - are dipping into the NHS' coffers and giving that to charity.

The big picture is rarely acknowledged or spoken of, but its there nevertheless. Find some other way of helping a charity, don't perpetuate this situation where the NHS suffers financially so charities can make a few quid.

If you are referring to the study mentioned here (warning Daily Mail). That has been proven to be incorrect.

Drago

Legendary Member
If you are referring to the study mentioned here (warning Daily Mail). That has been proven to be incorrect.

No. Was on TV a good few years back. Some minor sleb had hurt themselves in a charity parachute jump, and some senior NHS exec took to the TV to urge people not to turn to sporting endeavours for charity because of the hideous cost to the NHS.

Can't remember the slebs name, but I'm pretty sure it was a female. It will come to me.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Also, whether someone else who might have reached the target didn't get a place

The ballot entry fee is £58 IIRC, so the charity is presumably subsiding those raising money for the charity if the OP paid £20

3 months to go, maybe start putting money aside from own pocket in case target not met and start some fundaraising events like cake sales, car washing, lawn mowing whatever, give up your time

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
OP just do the best you can, ask as many people/companies as you can the more you ask the more money you'll raise. If you don't ask you won't get. Send emails and use social media. Post a link to your just giving page here I'll give you a fiver.

You wont lose your place if you don't reach your target before the event, charities assume there will be more money coming shortly after.

Try and get your target first so you can enjoy the day it's brilliant fun, I've done it four times.

That doesn't sound right to me. Got any evidence?

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
I find it odd that charities would stop you taking part for not hitting a target. Surely the amount you do raise, even if its only £50, is better than nothing?
A number of the Pru 100 charities quote a cost figure of around £240 per rider - exclusive of your entry fee, which covers administration. On that basis they are out of pocket if you fall well short of the pledged / advertised minimum and only manage to raise a couple of hundred quid.

Not that this should put any pressure on the OP, but for some charities the minimum is very much in excess of the cost (it would seem), so falling short of a very high target by a few hundred quid would still mean a reasonable amount going to the charity.

Personally I feel it is a bonkers situation and the antithesis of what fundraising should be, but then the moral and political aspects of fundraising, charity management, consultancy and directorship fees, etc are probably best discussed in the Politics forum. ;)

Tim Hall

No. Was on TV a good few years back. Some minor sleb had hurt themselves in a charity parachute jump, and some senior NHS exec took to the TV to urge people not to turn to sporting endeavours for charity because of the hideous cost to the NHS.

Can't remember the slebs name, but I'm pretty sure it was a female. It will come to me.
That doesn't sound right to me. Got any evidence?

So Drago's position moved to/confused all sporting charity events to charity parachute jumps. Which pointed me to this study, where for a pound raised for charity the cost to the NHS in Tayside was £13.75.

(final sentence edited adding "to", "the" and "was", so it made better sense)

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member

Lordy, that's a non evidenced anecdote if ever I heard one!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
@kiwifruit I'd do as @CarlP suggests and post a link here for your fundraising. You're bound to get some contributions, even if it's only a fiver from me and CarlP!

I'll take this opportunity to plug MyDonate over JustGiving as a fundraising platform. MyDonate does not charge you, or the charity, a penny for the funds you raise. Zero commission and no registration fees either, so your target charity gets the maximum from your efforts - including all the gift aid.

You'll hit your target a bit sooner and the charity will get more money, win-win!

OP
OP
kiwifruit

kiwifruit

Über Member
@kiwifruit I'd do as @CarlP suggests and post a link here for your fundraising. You're bound to get some contributions, even if it's only a fiver from me and CarlP!

I'll take this opportunity to plug MyDonate over JustGiving as a fundraising platform. MyDonate does not charge you, or the charity, a penny for the funds you raise. Zero commission and no registration fees either, so your target charity gets the maximum from your efforts - including all the gift aid.

You'll hit your target a bit sooner and the charity will get more money, win-win!
Thanks for the advice @glasgowcyclist and @CarlP. I did thought about putting a link on, but didn't know if the forum allows to put things like that. I will now put a link on . https://www.justgiving.com/FanTsang

Top Bottom