Prudential Ride 100, what happen if i can't raise a minimum of £500.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
So Drago's position moved to/confused all sporting charity events to charity parachute jumps. Which pointed me to this study, where for a pound raised for charity the cost to the NHS in Tayside was £13.75.

(final sentence edited adding "to", "the" and "was", so it made better sense)

And as pointed out in my link - that was all bollocks anyway.

Drago

Legendary Member
So Drago's position moved to/confused all sporting charity events to charity parachute jumps. Which pointed me to this study, where for a pound raised for charity the cost to the NHS in Tayside was £13.75.

(final sentence edited adding "to", "the" and "was", so it made better sense)

I was only regurgitang what some NHS senior bod was themselves spouting on TV about the cost of treating sporting charity injuries. I cant remember the name of the sleb that prompted the tv finger wagging with her muffed up parachute jump, so when Mrs D awakens I'll ask her, see if she remembers.

Please, avoid un-necessary use of bold type - I can read, but marking stuff needlessly in bold is not only rather patronising, it makes it less likely it will be read and understood by those with dyslexia - the opposite effect to that which you doubtless intended.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Is it you @glasgowcyclist who made a donation. If it is thank you.
I'll do one a bit later, I'm in transit ATM.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Some profit may or may not be made by some involved companies and / or sponsors. Who knows.
Exactly - we should be told how much of our donation goes to the charity, shouldn't we? It's in the best practice guidelines.

ETA: Interestingly, after reviewing the event web pages for 10 or so charities, not one of them mentions any punitive measure if you fail to raise the pledged minimum.
Of course they don't tell you that before you sign up! They want you to feel invested, having reached a decision in principle and done some work filling out forms, then spring it on you in the final confirmation step. I remember seeing two types during sign up (as I don't do many charity events any more): one was basically do-your-best, the other was a formal term of entry to make up the shortfall - no minimum sent in by the day, no ride. (ETA: this wasn't for Ride London.)

I find it odd that charities would stop you taking part for not hitting a target. Surely the amount you do raise, even if its only £50, is better than nothing?
As others mention, corporations are often paying hundreds of pounds per place at events - it's not just paying your £80 or whatever entry fee, but often pretty-much-required adverts in the event promotional material, renting spaces along the course for their rentacrowds and post-finish hospitality and passes for the staff that they send to the event. It doesn't really matter to the event organising companies that want to make a profit whether the corporation is a charity or not although it looks better to the casual observer if the corporate entrants are charities.

It puts a link underneath all your posts that is visible to all other logged-in members.
Only on larger screens. Don't put anything vital in one's sig.

Tim Hall

I was only regurgitang what some NHS senior bod was themselves spouting on TV about the cost of treating sporting charity injuries. I cant remember the name of the sleb that prompted the tv finger wagging with her muffed up parachute jump, so when Mrs D awakens I'll ask her, see if she remembers.

Please, avoid un-necessary use of bold type - I can read, but marking stuff needlessly in bold is not only rather patronising, it makes it less likely it will be read and understood by those with dyslexia - the opposite effect to that which you doubtless intended.
Fair point about the bold type. Soz.

Top Bottom