Prudential Ride 100, what happen if i can't raise a minimum of £500.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kiwifruit

Über Member
Has anyone done a charity ride and has not raise the minimum amount needed. The reason I asked is what will happen if I can't raise that amount or more, would I lose my place? This is my first ever event.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why not ask the charity you've committed to? Maybe you need to make up the shortfall?

OP
OP
kiwifruit

kiwifruit

Über Member
Why not ask the charity you've committed to? Maybe you need to make up the shortfall?
Is this what usually happens making up the shortfall? I know I still got just over 3 months to raise the amount, hopefully I will succeed.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is this what usually happens making up the shortfall? I know I still got just over 3 months to raise the amount, hopefully I will succeed.
I don't know. Have you read the terms of your participation?
If it were me riding for a charity, I'd make up the shortfall out of my own pocket.
I wouldn't expect my participation and enjoyment of my hobby to be subsidised. Hence I don't cycle in the name of charity.
Is raising money for the charity your primary reason for doing the ride or because you want to ride your bike on closed roads etc? If the former, then maybe making up the shortfall is the thing to do.

Others may differ in what they might do

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Isn't it others who are paying for her/him to ride their bike though? Those sponsoring and potentially even the charity if not meeting the promised amount

You won't get asked to have raised and banked the money before the ride, but you have effectively pledged to raise the funds and hand them over (or have them on your online giving page etc) by whatever deadline the charity set you - usually around 4-6 weeks I guess. You will get enthusiastic reminders by email in the weeks after the event, including a reminder of what your pledge target actually was. These might get increasingly urgent or pressing, but quite what happens if you don't reach the target, I don't know - I guess it's down to how close you do get to the target, if indeed there's any action they can take at all. How formal a contract your pledge to the charity is, I couldn't say but given that most charities are pretty professional organisations these days, I'd be surprised if it's not in the small print somewhere.

That said, I think their first appeal will be to your enthusiasm and their second to your conscience.

Is this prudential 100 a closed road event? If you can turn up to a sportive without paying and set off anonymously in a bunch, or join up just after the start on the open roads anyway, why not just donate your proceeds to date directly to the charity.

Lots of these events are becoming for profit. even if it's not the event itself, sponsors, organisers, managers etc are making a killing. Obviously, don't be using the feed and water stations, take your own provisions. I get that people want to enjoy the atmosphere, but what's stopping you just doing the 100 mile ride any day of the week and giving your bit to charity that way?

Edit; Ok, google says it's a closed road event, this is a bit different to an open road event. The morality is a bit of a grey area, still slightly dubious that you have to pay an entry for this sort of thing given that it's for charity, someone's raking it in.

Last edited:
Dunno about the Pru 100, but a friend has challenged me to do next year's "Ride the Night", so I looked it up.

It's £45 to get in, and you have to raise £200 for the charity. If you don't raise the £200, you lose both your entry fee and your slot on the ride.

Tin Pot

Guru
I have failed to raise the funds for a charity event before, I was hounded by them for seven or eight months until I'd paid off the debt. I was young and very hard up, it was humiliating and put me off fundraising for twenty years.

Hopefully they're not like that nowadays :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
I have failed to raise the funds for a charity event before, I was hounded by them for seven or eight months until I'd paid off the debt. I was young and very hard up, it was humiliating and put me off fundraising for twenty years.

Hopefully they're not like that nowadays :smile:
Not much. The events are "run by" a separate company normally. They want their cut of the money.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
What a set of cynical b*ggers some of you are. Way to kill the buzz of doing something good.

Some profit may or may not be made by some involved companies and / or sponsors. Who knows.

My wife's doing Ride the Night next month in memory of her mate who died recently from cancer in her early 40s. My wife never even rode a bike before last October, and now she's now doing 30+ mile rides regularly and building up to the 60. She's raising money for Women v Cancer UK and I'm in awe of her.
Tell her she's merely lining the pockets of big industry if you like:
https://www.justgiving.com/fundrais...content=April-McGowan1&utm_campaign=pfp-email

OP: I doubt the charity will chase you OR stop you riding. I've never seen the latter done. You have lots and lots of time yet anyway. Do your best for now, and look forward to the ride.

Last edited:

Shaun

Founder
@kiwifruit - which charity are you riding / fundraising on behalf of? And did you pay a fee to get a charity place?

ETA: Interestingly, after reviewing the event web pages for 10 or so charities, not one of them mentions any punitive measure if you fail to raise the pledged minimum. Lots of encouragement and support to do so, but nothing that says "this" will happen. Perhaps they just don't offer you a place in future if you don't come up with the goods.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I wondered about that question myself when I looked at doing a particular charity ride.

I'll explain more nearer the time, but my niece wanted me to do an organised charity ride. I looked at it and I was supposed to commit to raising £1,500 which would have been an intimidating commitment. I couldn't afford to make up a significant shortfall.

I would also have had to pay to take part in the event and that would probably have been about £1,300, which had to be self-financed. I couldn't afford that sum of money, and anyway it seemed a bit odd to spend £1,300 to raise £1,500 - I could have not bothered doing the ride and just given the entrance fee straight to the charity instead!

I am going to do my own ride this summer which will cost me about £5 in chocolate, cake and carbo-powder and see how close I can get to that £1,500.

Good luck to everybody else raising money for their charities!

ETA: Interestingly, after reviewing the event web pages for 10 or so charities, not one of them mentions any punitive measure if you fail to raise the pledged minimum. Lots of encouragement and support to do so, but nothing that says "this" will happen. Perhaps they just don't offer you a place in future if you don't come up with the goods.
I just checked the FAQs for the charity that I was looking at. They specifically say that failing to raise the sponsorship money may result in you not being allowed to take part in subsequent events.

classic33

Leg End Member
What a set of cynical b*ggers some of you are. Way to kill the buzz of doing something good.

Some profit may or may not be made by some involved companies and / or sponsors. Who knows.

My wife's doing Ride the Night next month in memory of her mate who died recently from cancer in her early 40s. My wife never even rode a bike before last October, and now she's now doing 30+ mile rides regularly and building up to the 60. She's raising money for Women v Cancer UK and I'm in awe of her.
Tell her she's merely lining the pockets of big industry if you like:
https://www.justgiving.com/fundrais...content=April-McGowan1&utm_campaign=pfp-email

OP: I doubt the charity will chase you OR stop you riding. I've never seen the latter done. You have lots and lots of time yet anyway. Do your best for now, and look forward to the ride.
It's not the charity that chases you. An easier way of thinking about/looking at it, is the chuggers you'll see on the street.

They get their cut first, then the charity gets theirs. I'll give direct to the charity first.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom