PSA: Banks's Amber Bitter 90p at Tesco

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just picked up my second batch of these from Tesco. For only 90p you can't go wrong but it's actually a very decent session bitter at ABV 3.8%

They don't even seem to be selling very well, which can only be because people think it's too cheap to be any good.

20200103_201942.jpg

Milzy

Guru
It’s not Brill but for 90 p yes!

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
So it's what you might call a "cooking bitter". I didn't realise it was on permanent sale, don't go to Tesco very often.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
They used to do this,
View attachment 498916

a far more paletable pint. :cheers:

A pity they still don't, I quite like a pint of mild.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Banks's pubs used to have unusual draught pumps.

The beer was in a clear glass container which was horizontally mounted on the bar as part of the pump.

Operation was by a joystick lever.

One throw of the lever to dispense a half, two to dispense a pint.

You could see the plunger move inside the glass container as it pushed the beer out one end and sucked more beer in the other.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Banks's pubs used to have unusual draught pumps.

The beer was in a clear glass container which was horizontally mounted on the bar as part of the pump.

Operation was by a joystick lever.

One throw of the lever to dispense a half, two to dispense a pint.

You could see the plunger move inside the glass container as it pushed the beer out one end and sucked more beer in the other.

Pubs in Newcastle had these when I started drinking in the 70s. Funnily enough I was thinking about them recently and I reckoned they may have been used because drinkers were always complaining about cloudy beer, floaters, short measures and just about anything that would get them a free refill. Someone told me you could stop all conversation in a pub if you held up your glass, stared at it and exclaimed "Floaters!" in a loud voice. Drinking was a serious business.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Drinking was a serious business.

It certainly was.

Years ago I called into The Brewery Tap in Sunderland, which stood on the corner of the large Vaux brewery site.

It was full, as usual, of drunken draymen - horse drawn drays in those days.

My pint was off, leading me to ask for it to be changed.

"I will give you another one," said the barmaid reluctantly.

At which a customer shouted: "Why aye man, free beer!"

"Who's he, like?" said another.

For an uncomfortable few seconds I was centre of attention.

Top Bottom